Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lanx aspen spinous system

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have been advised to have posterior fusion on L2/L3 for stenosis and L4/L5 for spondylolisthesis utilizing the (relatively new) lanx aspen system. the procedure is minimally invasive and looks quite exciting to me.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with this system? Thank you in advance for responding

• Hi Scrubby. I was put out of work 10 years ago with back problems related to years of abuse and lifting more than I should have and probably improperly. Disk protrusions, everything just plain worn out. Tried 9 different Doctors in the past 10 years and none wanted to operate because deteriation was the main reason. Pain shots worked the 1st couple of times, mielogram was severe( felt like lightning went down the right leg and had a year of burning down the leg, that apeared time to time since then). Changed my pain management clinic last year and he ordered new MRI and showed disk bulge and the deteriation everyone else. Common issues I had were right leg shooting pains wrapping around in different directions at different times. Tight muscles both legs down the back. Loss of muscle use due to lack of movement and exercise. Central shooting pain from right to left hip( felt like electrical shock). Haven't slept 1 full night through in 10 years. After many shots and pain killers I could no longer determine if I had to urinate or have a bowl movement, other than a pressure on my right lower rib cage. Best days included minimum pain level around 3 to 4, 3 being like a school ruler was being pushed into my lower back. Worst days do not have to be explained if you are on this website because you already know.
    To get back to the Lanx process system proceedure I'll tell you I was worn out and tired of the drugs and treatments. Therapeutic back Yoga helped at times and light exercise but the pains always came back. A couple of months ago I went to a well rated local surgeon in the Lewes, Delaware, who was highly rated by nurses and other doctors locally. He ordered a new MRI and the new one showed the disk had cured itself but the deteriation and arthritis was very evident. He suggested the Lanx and explained the process and told me I would be out of the hospital the following day. Luckily He was able to get me in when a cancilation came up the following week. It was my 1st overnighter so I had my little fears. Anyway he got to me by 3PM, done in less than 1/2 hour. He had put 1 lanx at S1 and one in between L4 and L5. I came to while they were wheeling me from the recovery room and thanked the doctor because I already could feel the numbness in my right lower back was gone as well as the tight leg muscles and the hip shooting pain. Had some operation pain later which is normal but was handled by iv meds and was a little sore. The PT girl came in early the next morning and told me it was time to get up and walk,( I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get up)but I did and walked until lunchtime when it was time to check out of the hospital. It's been 1 month this week and the miracle still is working for me. My pain is gone from the back problems I had suffered with for 10 years. The numbness is gone. I get better every day and once my legs get used to the exercise I will be close to what I was 10 years ago. The Doctors name is Dr EDITED I cannot not tell you how relieved I am to have gone to this doctor for this proceedure. I'm not saying it's for you you but IF it is an option for you, you will not be dissapointed. Good luck in finding relief and hope I may have helped you make your decision. SammieC

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc

Thanks for your reply. As you will notice my post was back in Oct. Since then I too had the surgery. I had two Aspen clips installed--L2/L3 and L4/L5. I also had endoscopic procedure for removal of stenosis. Procedure was done in my Drs. clinic (with full operating room) in Morris Plains, NJ. He is fantistic!!!!! Procedure was done as out patient. I am now 5 weeks post op and doing great. Pain was almost non existant. I have joined a gym (which is 100% paid for by medicare--I'm 66). I go 3x's a week and am already doing pretty heavy resistive training on Free Style equipment and walking on a treadmill. I'm up to 35 mins. on the treadmill. Pretty good for a guy who has been unable to walk more than 100 yards for more than 4 years.

My legs are still quite weak, but, I feel they are getting stronger every day.

I am obviously very impressed with the Aspen system. Sure beats the old way of laminectomy with a cage!!!!
  • I just had it done on L3-5, still got some pain,weakness and lots of numbness in right leg. But I am hopeful because its only been 4 weeks.
    I'm abit nervous.
    I been having this problem for 18 years now,and sometimes I can't walk.
    I need my life back.
    how you doing?
  • If you look at the dates on the previous posts, you will see that this is an old thread. The fact that the posters are either anonymous of not verified, shows these members are no longer with us.

Might I suggest that you start your own thread and ask your questions to the general membership? You may have better luck going that route.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• Has anyone had this system removed?
    I have in on two levels..l5s1 and l3 and l4... still have LOTS of pain after 4 years.. Dr. has said that's all he can do and sent me off to pain management.... no help there. but pain pills..... so i was considering removal and having a classic rods and screws fusion.. any comments??
  • I had the This piece of junk installed 8/1/2011, Lanx gets all your information including social security number , weight height all is prequalified but when failure occurs they rely on the page of disclaiers/excuses they use to excuse the anticipated failures. This thing has ruined my life, I had FINALLY gotten back to a job after 5 years of bacjk troubes that I thought had ended when my surgeon found this device. WRONG while SITTING AT MY DESK!! I had a severe pain start in my back ad radiate into my buttocks and legs , after another Discogram, MRI's and exrays it was discovered the device had broken! After some research I found the modification had NEVER gotten or even APPLIED for FDA 510K approval! DO NOT let any medical professional assault you with the instalation of this trash!!The company also is worthless as they do nothing but consistantly attempt to divert blame and or responsibility! Stay away fdrom this companies products but most importantly, stay away from the Aspend device1 I am lucky to be walking today!
  • I just completed my 6th back surgery and hopefully the last. I did have the clip on my 3rd surgery and continued to have pain for around 2-3 years. The doctor who did the aspen said that he could do nothing more for me. I finally had enough and saw another doctor who removed the clip and fused the spine. Since then I've had cement and now the nerves separated from the spine and seem to be doing better after many, many years of pain. I feel the aspen clip actually damaged the nerves in my back since I had pain in my rear and down my leg after it was installed. Sorry, I do not believe in the aspen clip.
  • ratspinerratspine Posts: 1
    edited 03/29/2015 - 4:43 PM
    Don't do it. I hope some law firm can start a class action suit against this device. I had the device installed just a couple of years ago. At first I was to be part of a study group but they withdrew me from it. The surgeon at xxxxxxxx put it anyway. I had back problems ever since they installed it. Now, two and a half years later I have to go in and have it removed and have a different, more reliable device installed. I need to make sure I complain the the insurance company so they won't approve this procedure anymore. The Lanx Aspen, Aspen Clip, Aspen Device, Aspen Fusion, whatever they want to call it isn't worth the risk, pain, recovery, and money. I no longer have any respect for the xxxxxxxxxe. I'm going to the eeeee Institute from now on.
This discussion has been closed.