Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

yonayyona Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Exercise and Rehab
HI everyone.
It's been a long timsince I last visited.
But this forum has never been forgotten.

=D> :applause:

Does anyone here ride bicycles?

I really want to.

I am 62 and walking is the only sport I can do which doesn't cause me pains. But, it's boring...

I am looking for well suspensioned (front wheel & chair) bike.
Well, even a table seat causes me pains near my tail bone but there are flexi seats with a grove at the right place so I am sure I'll manage.

Since I am 157 cm, I'd like to know if "flat foot bikes" (forward pedals) which allow having both feet on the ground AND straighten legs while pedaling, is good for one's back?
Opinions differ. Some say that regular placed pedals reduces the weight burden off the rider back.
What say you?

BTW, I like back-pedalling-brakes. Is it true that back-pedalling-brakes-bikes do not have suspension?

Thank you.

• Yona,
    Hey girl, you are doing well, as you my sporting prowess has diminished over time and as everyone here, what I could do now just a distant memory of my previous self, walking any distance is now for me not an option and cycling has been my saviour to some sanity and that feeling of doing something and dream.

It is suggested that some flections or bend in the leg is preferable that a true straight leg if that is possible. Straight legs put more tension into your central spine and for many laying flat itself with both legs down not possible or without some additional pain.

We have here facilities for people wanting to ride and just adopted a park and cycle scheme, perhaps the best thing is to find what works for you through trial and error and I applaud you effort, my pain is not lessoned by riding and done with my limitation does not make it worse, it as you say is none weight bearing good for the joints and increases our heart rate from my running day when younger which for many is not possible.

Some cycling clubs have very short rides and may be able to provide you with a bike to try and give you the correct support and guidance needed. Our PT was supportive of this and also gave some guidance, when I started riding I set attainable objectives and 2/3 years later I have managed to achieve these, on the days I cannot stand well I use this as a rest day and when I can do more I do so.

Suspension bikes did not work for me and to my surprise I use a hard tail, one with no suspension, which you would think would make things worse. My wife now rides and our shared activity one that we both enjoy doing. I have titanium rods in my spine so this process has taken some considerable effort tenacity and tears at times. I have tried to include this activity more in my overall strategy and psychologically it has helped me feel some progress however small.

Take care, pace well and enjoy it.

• I did a long research. Eventualy I bought: Trek's Pure Deluxe Lowstep

It's geometry allows me to put feet firmly on the ground, without having to leave the saddle.
    Pedaling is comfort because I can almost streighen my legs as well.
    I'm 157 cm.

Maintenance should be easy because of the internal gearing. 3 gears are enough for me and it also has rear leg breaks.

The bike comes with quite a good seat but I replaced it with a softer one because I have pains around my tail bone.

I took my bike out to "our" 1st common ride (previously I tried my son's Becidan which are too heavy & too big for me). It was to Jazz dance class...
    I need the dancing for improving my coordination which is quite bad with all these loosing fine tuning of nerves operation.
    Starting to dance at 62 is better than never, right?

Anyway, after dancing I rode to the park.
    It was an enjoyable ride and I don't have any traumatic feeling from it.
    I think I saw my rheumatologist, riding in the same park.
    Go figure, with the helmet...

btw, "BICYCLES" OR "BIKE" in Hebrew is a word for a couple, meaning plural.

What is it in English?

In other words, should I say my "bike is" or "my bike are"?

Y.S IL
  • Yona,

English is not my native language, but I have been speaking it longer (over 50 years) than anything else, so I attempt an answer:

BIKE or BICYCLE are the singular forms, BIKES and BICYCLES the plural.
    If any native English speaker knows better, please, speak up!

• :H

Single or a couple (in Hebrew. Because it has 2 wheels) I love it!

I take them out whenever I feel like.

Can't wait to share my joy with my drs....

Y.S IL
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Yona

Kinpin is right

In English we would say ...my bike is, or my bicycle is, either name, depends on choice, bike is just an abbreviation. Bikes and bicycles is only used when there is more then.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Yona
    Riding a bike in pian is the same in any language and you have done a great job, you should be proud of what and how you are doing, you doc will be pleased with your new skill and long may it continue.

Take care and enjoy it.

• Yona, what fun everyone is having!!!! =)) keep riding and have a good time doing it!! you did your homework and it sounds like you have the right ride for your back.. hope it all fits together and you can ride forever!! :D dance class? you are a go getter!!! :D Jenny :)
  • I think bicycle is the good for exercise. when we ride the bicycle then we can burn lots of fat from our body. So if you wish to loose your weight then you have to ride the bicycle.