Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice for my husband

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm new here and am looking for advice. My husband is wanting to have a disc replacement surgery (Maverick) in Germany that is not covered by insurance because he wants to hide it from his employer because he believes he will be fired from his job if they find out. Has anyone ever heard of this? He's an aircraft mechanic and I don't know all of his diagnosis but his main problem is an annular tear at L4-L5 or L5-S1(I forget). He has gone through almost everything he's had to regarding tests, pt, shots etc. and is wanting to have the procedure done in December. I am freaking out because it costs $30,000.00 which we do not have but he's desperate and really feels strongly that it's his only option to keep his job. It seems to me that it would be illegal to fire someone for having back surgery but he said that once you have surgery you are no longer considered to be %100 healthy which is a requirement at his job. Who is %100 healthy? Anyway, I'm just trying to find out if he has a valid concern because it sure would save us alot of money to have a procedure covered by insurance. Thanks!

• Hi Bizzlesmama - On behalf of the administrators, moderators, and the member community, I would like to welcome you to Spine-Health. This little community you've stumbled across is a great one.

We have a law here - The Americans With Disabilities Act - that states you cannot fire someone because of a disability.

HOWEVER, that does not stop employers from finding some other way to justify letting employees go. And it can never be proven the actual reason was because of a disability unless someone messes up.

After reading your post, I have come to several conclusions:

1) Your husband LOVES his job!
    2) Your husband is a great provider for his family.
    3) Your husband is willing to work through pain in order to continue his job and providing for his family.

I like your husband. Real stand up guy.

I just hope his tenacity does not make it impossible for him to do both.

It's very hard and exhausting to work and endure daily pain. I had a herniation at L4-5, not an annular tear. I have no idea how an annular tear feels, but I do know the herniation was painful; I am still experiencing fairly good amounts of pain 3 years after having surgery. I wish you both all the luck you will need!

Hopefully someone else can give a better answer to your question than I could. But do keep us posted on his progress? Even if you just need to understand what a day in the life of a chronic pain sufferer is like. I know being the care giver is no picnic either, so you may be able to give us all a fresh, new perspective on that.

Take care!
  • Why is he going to Germany. I know there are places in the US that do this. With only one disc, I thought he would be a canidate.