Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery for hardware removal in few weeks

sotiredssotired Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Again,
Saw doc yesterday and although she doesn't usually do hardware removal, she is willing to remove mine. Of course she can't guarantee that this will decrease my pain, but surgicaly there is nothing else she can do.
My main question, and of course I forgot to ask it yesterday, is what restrictions will I have after the surgery since everything will be fused. Will I be able to drive, lift things, bend, etc.? I know it will take a few weeks for the incision area to heal. I'm just really nervous as to how stable I'll be and if there is enough support when the hardware is out.

• I had mine out 4 weeks ago. PLIF. I only had the BLT and no lifting for a while. I have only been 9 months out when I took my hardware out. It will be similar to the first surgery, only much easier. You wont wake up and think you went to heck and it will heal faster. It was a piece of cake compared to the first one. I havnt felt alot of difference in pain, but went to 4 week ck up on Mon. He said no pt for a few more weeks. Everything has to heal yada yada yada. Hope this helps, and honestly, I went home the next morning. It was that much different. PM is you have any questions, love Robin
  • Thanks for your reply Robin.
    I guess what I'm looking for is how much help I'll need after the removal and will I have limitations like with the first surgery.
    Will I be more at risk for injury once the hardware is out?
  • How ong out are you from your fusion? You shouldnt need any help at home. I was able to do everything I did prior to surgery. Its a piece of cake compared to the first one.
  • I had my fusion 20 months ago. The problem is that I'm not able to do very much myself at this time. Anything I do makes my pain worse. Folding laundry and dusting is about it for me.
  • you have the same thing going on as I do. My surgery is scheduled for October 22nd. The only problem is that only one side of my fusion, fused so I might be having my fusion redone instead of just having the hardware out. All depends on what he sees when he gets in there. If it looks good, hes gonna remove the hardware to see if it stops the pain. My suregon hardly ever removes the hardware either.

• my surgery is the 26th, so we'll have to keep in touch.
    Did your Doc say anything about how you'll be and what restrictions you'll have if the hardware gets removed?
    PM me if you'd like.
  • You have been fused for alot longer than I have. I have restrictions for the first six weeks. No BLT but only because it has only been 9 months. I dont know what your Dr will do. I felt tired andstill hurt from the surgery. It is still a major surgery. I could do my own personal care. Your fusion should be very strong after all this time. Hope this helps. Love, Robin