Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion count down

frankie062ffrankie062 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Well I'm due to have my lumbar fusion on Tuesday and I don't mind saying i'm a little worried. My surgeon has been of long term sick so I have been unable to find out how he is going to do the surgery.Or how long the recovery is likley to be.
I had a decompression of Cauda Equina in June 09 then in July a microdisectomy followed by a spinal fluid bulge and a clot resulting in a laminectomy. I was too poorly and spaced out on drugs to ask too many questions. All I really recall is that my spine is very frigile and vulnerable, My Urologist has told me I am likley to have to have to self cath. following the fusion. After he told me that I kind of switched off. I have been back at work since 3rd Sep to my GP's disgust (I would be on half pay otherwise) I am worried about the op I am worried out work and I am worried about lack of physical support. The OT's sent out some aids following my last ops, they left them at the door and I had to lift the large frames into the house myself ( i was told not to lift !!!)
can anyone help ?

• What type of fusion are you haveing and how many levels? Do you still have your equpment? I dont know what type of surgery lumbar, cervical so fill me in.
  • Yes, more details (what surgery are you having) and there's sure to be someone here who has been through it to help you out.

I did have a catheter for my surgery (2-level PLIF - the one with screws and rods where they open you up from your back)

Since you mentioned CES, I'm thinking at the least you have some S1-L5 problems. Possibly L5-L4 too?

How about feeling prepared for your homecoming? Check out the list of post-op must haves (I have to add that it is VERY extensive, you might not need ALL of the items, but planning and preparing can help ease the anxiety over the next few days).

I'll be gone all weekend and so I'll wish you luck now.
  • thats is the trouble you know as much as me. I do know its lumbar. But levels and equipment ??
    Now I'm really worried. I'm going to make a list of question for Monday. :)