Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First cervical esi

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Spinal Injections
I'm having my first cervical esi tuesday and am absolutely terrified. I am NO GOOD with needles and just the thought of one being put in my neck makes me have a panic attack and sick to my stomach. I even tried going through childbirth naturally because I was afraid of any iv's or shots for pain and when they did finally do an epidural when they got me in the operating room I was shaking and crying uncontrollably and one of the nurses had to hold me down. My dr's office told me all they could give me was xanax before the esi and I actually laughed because I thought they were joking because to me that's like a sugar pill. But they weren't. Should I try and find a doctor who will do something more? I can't even see myself making it to the office let alone going through with the procedure without injuring myself or someone in the drs office.

• You poor thing! You have quite the needle phobia. I have heard of some doctors using mild sedation but they have to insert an IV. Will someone go with you that can help you remain calm? Make sure your doctor knows that you do not want to see any of the equipment they will be using. You will be lying on your stomach. Take the Xanax 20 minutes before the injection. Ask if you can bring an ipod, have a companion hold your hand and then try to keep your eyes closed and just listen to the music. It will be over before you know it.

Best wishes to you,

• I have had 3 and each time they totally sedated me so I felt absolutly nothing at all. If you can find a doctor to offer the sedation I think that is a good idea. I don't have a fear of needles but as sore as I am I know it had to have hurt, and the risk of moving or jerking was my greatest fear. I see you post was a month ago but hopefully you have found some relief.