Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can baclofen lead to leg buckling?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Medications
My fiance recently switched pain meds from norco to balofen. Since she switched her leg has been buckling a lot more. She buckled 4+ times yesterday alone. Before the switch she bucled once every few weeks.

Could baclofen be cauing the buckling or is it more likely she needs more PT?

• Baclofen is not a pain medication, it is a muscle relaxant and yes, too strong of a dose could cause her leg muscles to not function correctly and thus cause them to buckle.
    What dose is she on and has she taken more than she was supposed to?
    Baclofen is used for spasticity and is usually pretty effective.
  • I just started on this a couple of weeks ago and have not buckled up. She should check with dr bout that! I will do the same if that happens, sounds aweful!
  • My neuro has suggested I start taking Baclofen to keep from having spacticity problems. I handed him my PM doc's business card and told him to coordinate having my PM write the script. Haven't heard anything since, but I think he has given me the opportunity to choose whether to take it or not. So what is the consensus of those that are using it? Is it effective? From Sandi's post, it works well. Any other comments?
  • I've been taking it since Jul. I have terrible spasms in my neck and shoulders. My traps were rock hard all the time. Since starting it, the spasms have eased up, they're still there, but not as bad. My pm put me on baclofen, as flexeril did nothing for me (except make me tired).
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • When you go on baclofen or go off of it, you need to taper it and do it slowly. Usually the starting dose is 5 mg. and then increased by 2 1/2 or 5 mg at a time, usually over a week to see if there are unwanted side effects. It is one of the best medications for spasticity around.
  • When I started on Baclofen it was big help. After several months my body built up a tolerance and I hit the max oral daily dose. Over a the next few months it became less effective and so I was switched over to Zanaflex.

As Sandi stated you can't just stop taking Baclofen. It can easily cause hallucinations if dropped from your system too quickly.

So it is definitely worth trying.

• As I stated I started bout 2wks ago. After a couple of days it started to relax my muskles.. It hurt cuz they had also been rock hard for yrs. But now they are fighting it too. I know it's my spine causing the fight to relax or spaz. Like my muscles need to protect my spine which is why they spaz in the first place. But it works better than any relaxer I've ever takin.And I've takin many the last 25 yrs. It is also used on people with ms.
    I started at 10 mg.
    Really like it. I also notice my muscle tone is zilch after they relaxed, like a litle atrophy going on I'm guessing, cuz after they've relax my back has less muscles, I'm feeling just bones mostly back there.
    So my muscles were probly working overtime from not having all the muscles that seem to be gone.
    It is really good, talk to your dr and atleast give it a try.
    Good luck!

• nug24, didn't mean to hijack your thread, lots of good info here from everyone though, thanks all!
  • Patsy it cracks me up too, until I have to swallow all of them, ugh! But it is like the Skittles commercials: Taste the rainbow :D
  • Thanks for all your help and answers. I had her call her doctor about it, and he said Baclofin could lead to leg weakness and buckling. He than told her she should only take it at night, and to take Norco during the day.

Glad to her it was the medicine causing the buckling and not another setback in this long recovery process!

Thanks again to Sandi, Holley, Jay, Ladybug, Haglandc, and Smiley!
  • You're welcome. The thing with any muscle relaxant is that too much is an individual tolerance issue, very much like opiate dosages. Too much of any muscle relaxant can make the muscles not work correctly.
    Our bodies need to have a certain level of "tone" to them in order to hold us up when we try to stand, too much baclofen or xanaflex or any of the other ones out there can cause the muscles to be weakened and not have the "tone" they need to keep us upright.
    Anyway Nug, glad that you and your lady got things straightened around and she is doing better now.
  • sandi said:
    When you go on baclofen or go off of it, you need to taper it and do it slowly. Usually the starting dose is 5 mg. and then increased by 2 1/2 or 5 mg at a time, usually over a week to see if there are unwanted side effects. It is one of the best medications for spasticity around.
    I have had good results with Baclofen. My PM doc said that it is a true muscle relaxant as opposed to flexaril, soma, etc.
  • I think you'd better consult with a doctor about tis drug. May be I've taken wrong meds? I know that Baclofen is not a pain drug.
  • I have chronic low back pain and spasm throughout my entire back. Once, a pain management physican suggested baclofen. I was told that it's a strong muscle relaxant that is sometimes used in MS Patients for severe spasm. I tried the medication, but couldn't get used to it. I felt like I was in water. I couldn't think clearly and my legs wobbled.