Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain and conspitation,SSI disability,attorneys

shes1962sshes1962 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my surgery im may. now i still have pain. pain killers make me sick. I hurt all the time. I had a c 4-5,5-6 in my neck.I hurt all the time it never goes away any suggestions for what i can do for self help. Im seeking legal council for SSI And Diability. my doctor wants me to try to work so im working about 1 hr a day. not sure i can go on need suggestions. would love to hear from anyone.

• for your pain. I know its hard to work with pain and makes it even harder when the doctor doesnt seem to hear you when you tell him how bad it is. Maybe the doctor can give you something for sick stomach so that you can take some type of pain med. just a thought. I worked for 2 years after my surgery and then finally had to say i cant do it anymore. I tried everything but i still ended up using my paid(thank goodness) sick days which i had saved for 3 years. It took me a long time to get to the point that i knew i couldnt go on and my doctor was the one who kept telling me to quit. Its hard to do when a person needs the income.

Im sorry i cant offer any information about legal counsel or ssi and disability. I dont think you can work and apply for this but i really dont know. maybe someone else will reply to your post a lot of members here have knowledge about these types of things. You can go into some of the other topics and do some research yourself. I do wish you the best of luck with your job and getting your pain under control.
  • Welcome to spine health. As a fellow c-spine sufferer aka "neckie" here on this forum, I completely understand your pain. It is difficult to work when you are in so much pain. However it is also good for you try to keep some normalcy in your life. If going back to work, even part time, gives you purpose, then that is a good thing.

Have you had any physical therapy with your neck? There are many stretches and exercises you can do for "self-help". It is important to keep moving your neck so that you can build up your range of motion. You are only 4 months post op, and unfortunately it does take a long time to feel good again. One thing that may help is to use ice and heat. Have you tried the therawrap heat packs? You could wear one of those to work and it may help you get through until you get home. I even made a heat pack out of rice and a long sock. Pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it is a good source of moist heat that fits around your neck.

One other suggestion would be to ask about a TENS unit. I use mine daily and would not make it through the day without it.

Regarding SSDI, you can still work and apply for this. However, you have to be able to prove that you are disabled to get it. The law is that you have to prove that you can't do substantial gainful employment, meaning you can't make more than $900 per month. There are many things involved with applying for ssdi, and I would suggest that you go to the social security website and read up on it.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • thanks for the suggestions
  • Tell us more about yourself. You will find that this group is full of people who care and will try to help you. Pretty soon you'll feel like you have a new family.

There are many people on here who have had neck surgeries and still continue struggling. Many others are doing well and can encourage you to hang in there.

Are you doing any physical therapy?

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Pain, constipation, ssi and lawyers all in one sentence - couldnt have thought of a better combination - lol

SOunds like you have two concerns. First is looking into some PT and pain management to try to feel better. From the little you said it sounds like your surgeon is your only doctor which isn't necessarily a good thing. I think everyone here has had to do some shopping for the right type of doctor and treatment.

If you think you can't work I would suggest finding a ssi lawyer. There are ones who specialize and it is worth it. I believe they also will work on some type of contingency basis (pay them if they win). These are different from the ones who do injury law. SOme people do file on their own but it is a very complex process and very easy to make a little mistake that will get you declined forever.

GOod luck with everything. Remember you can't give up on yourself - no one cares as much about you as you do.