Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back surgery left foot swelling

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
I had back surgery to repair L4-L5 in February, 2009. I don't know the medical terms but I have a cage with 6 screws and posts. My left leg stated swelling after surgery and continues to swell. Swelling is on my left foot and some below the knee. I elevate at night and that relieves the swelling but I sit at a desk all day and that causes it to swell. Has anyone else had this happen? My primary care doctor says it is because I am overweight but it started very soon after surgery. Can it be related? I still have some pain especially at night when I am tired. Thanks for any input.

• My left, foot and ankle has been swollen for 3 weeks. I went to the ER the other night with concern that there was a blood clot (surgery 9/15/09)- the ER doctors were SO shocked that there wasn't because I had/have all the symtoms for a blood clot. My stays swollen but worse at night- so bad that my feet crack and bleed. My NS is out of town this week but hopefully I will be able to see her Monday- I will let you know what I find out. I am not overweight- sometimea I think/feel that so many doctors can't figure things out so thier answer is always the weight one- it fuels my fire too- I use to be overweight and ALWAYS got that answer!! I hope you get some relief soon!~
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. perhaps your doctor is right about the weight issue. slowing down our activities can cause weight gain. i wish you luck with your pain control! keep us informed! :D Jenny :)
  • I would really get a second opinion if I were you. The same thing happened to my husband last year and he had 3 blood clots in his leg. It has been 1 full year and they(blood clots) are not gone yet. He still gets so much swelling in his leg that it is scary. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I just this week found out that I have spinal stenosis. I am 64 years old and female. I have been in excruciating pain for YEARS. Right now I am so mad I could spit! For so many years I have been told by doctor after doctor that if I just lost weight the pain would stop. I did, it didn't but got worse, the weight came back on. I recently had three MRI's and Lo and Behold it is spinal stenosis which has gradually worsened over all the years of my going from doctor to doctor trying to get relief. When you are fat you are not treated the same way a normal sized person is treated in most cases. That is a fact. My quality of life is pretty much zilch. When a doctor looks at you and you are overweight that is all he or she sees. They can and do try to humiliate and shame you to the point where you don't want to see them or mention any symptoms you may have, knowing they will say "just lose weight and it will all go away". You get misdiagnosed and untreated for even simple things not to mention serious things. I am getting an injection soon from the pain clinic doctor who took the time to find the stenosis. Thank you for letting me talk about this atrocity committed against overweight patients who may be overweight for a valid reason and not just laziness. My PCP (I am searching for another one) told me that he has seen soldiers in the war finding the courage to crawl to a helicopter with their limbs missing and I should just "push through the pain and walk". My pain is unbearable if I simply stand for two minutes or walk out to my car. I fall down sometimes also because of pain, numbness and instability. Thanks again for listening.
  • Your primary care physician sounds like a d-bag. I'm glad you are looking for a new one! Terrible bedside manner and zero compassion!

I figure a doctor/patient relationship is like any other relationship and that you have to keep looking until you find "doctor right"! :-) Good luck on your search. I hope you start feeling better soon.