Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

motrin/ibuprofen use please advise i am freaked out

mamainpainmmamainpain Posts: 127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK, last night i woke up in so much pain, just couldn't get comfortable even with norco, so i snuck a 600 mg motrin, worked so well, went back to bed and slept better. Now i am a bit freaked out, did I screw my fusion?

• From what I have been told and read, most surgeons do not want you to take NSAIDS for at least 3 months and the conservative ones 6 months after fusion as it inhibits bone growth. I have seen folks on here that their surgeon has OK'd a short run of NSAIDS or steroids for an acute flare up just to settle things down.

Some folks took NSAIDs the whole time postop and fused nicely. I didn't take any and didn't fuse nicely. I would go by whatever your doc says and when you see the doc, I would tell him about this episode. He may be able to do an xray and let you know if you are making good fusion progress and even OK an occasional Motrin. Just be honest and let him know you were desperate, it was the middle of the night, and it worked.
  • I would call the Dr and ask if you can take them for occasional flare ups and let him know that you had to last night. Maybe he can give you something for these times so that you dont have to go that route again.
  • I was told not to take NSAIDs too, but I was prescribed one week of NSAIDS two months out of my fusion for a flare, so call your doctor. Don't lose any sleep though, nothing you can do about it now - just find out for future reference.
  • ..is what I sometimes used, but I cut it in 1/2 & rubbed it into my hardware/fusion area. Bypasses your gut that way, so you absorb less & it goes right to the painful area immediately.

I'm not reccm'ding this, mind you, just a suggestion you could run past your doc. A lot of post-fusion pain is inflamatory pain, so it would make sense that a NSAID would help, but it's true that NSAID's can inhibit bone growth, altho some docs debate that.

Check w/ your doc. How far along are you, Rachel? At 6 months out, and showing a nice starting fusion, I was OK'd for an occasional Advil. And b/c Advil upsets my GI system, I chose to use the home-made "rub". Cheap & easy---but do ask your doc.

• Did you just take 1 pill? I wouldn't think 1 would do much for you. It takes a week or more to build up in your system. Did the surgeon tell you it was ok to take them ? AFter my fusion it was a No NO to take anti inflams. It will delay the fusion or stop it from fusing i was told.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.