Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can I spend My Life Standing Up?

LumpyLLumpy Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Terrible day of pain! I spent 4 hours this morning at a computer, getting up every 15 or 20 minutes to walk around. By the end, I was ready go into a self-induced coma. It started in my hands and worked up my arms then to the neck. Pain, numbness, more pain :''(

It seems, as long as I am on my feet at work I do relatively okay with what I could consider tolerable level 4 to 6 pain. I sit down to do paperwork and it ratchets up more and more the longer I sit there. It was a solid 8 by the end of the 4 hours. I had to go home early. And I’m still at a 7.

Yesterday I was ready to go another month without the ACDF. Today, not so much.

As long as I can stand up and/or walk most of the time at work, I'll be able to keep working. Anyone else find sitting to be that painful?

• Hey Lumpy, before I had my ACDF surgery, standing was the only way I got relief. Sitting aggravated it so bad. You will feel so much better after your surgery.:)
  • Have you ever looked carefully at your work area? Early on here I read that it is important that your computer monitor be at eye level and that your whole posture in your chair needs to be right. Work from the bottom up - feet flat on floor, knees at 90 degree angle, support for your lower back, no slouching, arms at 90 degrees, keyboard or desk at elbow height and then your monitor should be at eye level. Not easy to do all of this in most offices. I uses stacks of note pads to raise my monitor and adjustable keyboard keeps my arms pretty good. I noticed that I slouch more as the pain increase - guess it feels better in some way.

I think when you are standing you eliminate all of those pressure points that cause even more pain. So take a look at your desk and see if there is anything you can adjust. An adjustable chair is a good start and usually around $100. Adjustable keyboard is important also and usually under $50.