Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-5 TLIF & Decompression Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello to all. I am new to this site so here goes nothing. I am getting L4-5 TLIF & Decompression surgery on October 21. I'm having a hard time dealing with all of this because it seems to have come out of nowhere.

My biggest fear is not being able to still be the police after this surgery. I realize that I am going to need alot of help with day to day activities, but it is very hard for me to ask for help.

I guess I have the same questions as everyone else. What should I expect? What is the pain scale? How long should I be down & out? I'm having my surgery at an out patient surgery center & the night of my surgery I will be transported somehow to a rehabilitation faciliy where I will spend the next 4-5 days. Not exactly sure how they are going to get me to my destination, guess I'll find out soon enuff.

Any & all advice is welcome & muchly appreciated. Just wanna say "Thank You" in advance.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. be sure and check out the "Back and Neck" surgery forum for more input on your procedure. the best of luck and may you have a very successful recovery.transferring to a care facility for a few days is a very good idea! all the best! :D Jenny :)
  • in your pain or in your fear. You will be just fine- you will see. The pain should be controlled even if you do feel as if you have been hit by a bus. Keep a good attitude even when its tough. Be good to yourself and make wise choices. Listen to your body and listen to your doctor(s). Give 100% in rehabilitation even when you wanna just give 10%. Take it one day at a time. Fear can consume you and throw you off track. Keep your head up and take it easy peasy for the first few weeks. No you won't be able to throw yourself down a slip and slide anytime so be realistic about what this surgery can and do for you! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Everyone is so different in their recovery that it is really ard to say what yours will be like. Take a look at the surgery topic and find the list of what you will need post op. Being prepared will make your recovery so much easier. You won't believe what not being able to bend, lift or twist will mean just to your personal hygiene so the best advice that I can give is to be as prepared as possible. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I have been through 2 back surgeries.. and this time is the worst L-2 L-3 L-4 L-5 and s-1 it was terrible the pain the pain but i never gave up i walked as much as i could now i walk in the pool all the time i was a Bus servi than to lite duty scaredof waht the future lies for for still cannot drive tooo far or sis or stand long.. i ialso have numbness in some ares, but i am very positive i believe you can do anything you set yr mind too most of the pain now is in the morning and afternoon and still cannot sleep through the nite, but u have to be strong and u will get through this i am single and my daughters and best friend helped meat this time cannot do pt cannot stretch just walk i have 10 screws rods and plates in my back and the weather does not help but i tell u the water helpss so much and so does the hot tub
  • Hi Popo

Welcome to our forum. :))) You'll be having surgery two days after me, so we'll be in recovery at the same time.

I was brought up to be independent and I too find it hard to ask for help, but after this surgery, you're just to have to ask family and friends. I live on my own with two dogs and I have a few dear friends who will pop in from time to time. I had decompression surgery last year and found what helped was having everything prepared in the home with meals and everything at waist height, grabber, dressing stick, etc etc. Have a look at the sticky on the Back and Neck Surgery page Pre Op Must Haves - it's such a comprehensive list which you can go through and choose what you think you'll need.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery and recovery and we'd love to hear how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • you'll be totally out of it when they tranfer you and will be in lots of pain first day and will get better next 4-5/ when you get home you should be able to fet around fine by yourself, get your own meals, shower, etc. you won't need a lot of help....just take it easy. I was back to work (office) by 4th week and off all meds in week 2 and walking a mile a day. hope that helps. Don't worry