Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Stenosis and Epidural Fibrosis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I had spinal surgery in 2005 for herniation to the L5-L4-S1. In September of 2009 I went for an MRI due to extreme ridiculopathy pain---pain which radiates behind both knees, clear up into the buttocks. I also experience burning and numbness in my legs & feet. All of this occurs every day, as chronic pain.
My new MRI said there was no nerve impingement, no disk bulge, but it said the I showed signs of lateral recess narrowing of the L4-L5 due to a combination of epidural fibrosis and facet hypertrophy. I also show vertebral endplate edema.
Would anyone of knowledge care to enumerate what all of this means? All I know is that I have chronic pain on a daily basis. I am 57, and am on SSDI because I had to leave a very lucrative job at the VA after my injury in 2005. I am currently on Mycardis for high-blood pressure due to pain, and on Elavil, due to pain and depression.
Thank you.

• I had back surgery in 2003 for a herniation and did well until the end of 2005. The radiculopathy in my left leg was coming back and I was having pain and burning in my right foot as well. My MRI results were similar to yours. Epidural fibrosis is scar tissue.

I would suggest getting a referral from your primary to see a neurosurgeon. He will want to see a current MRI.

I know how miserable this can be. Good luck to you!