Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

skiing after microdiscetomy

tigerlillyttigerlilly Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Exercise and Rehab
may seem a stupid question, but has anyone tried gentle skiing after microdiscetomy, obviuosly i was a good skier before op, just so woud love to get back with it, but on gentle slopes to start..
ok take care all

• I am going to ask my dr. about this next week at a follow up appt. I only ski 1-2 time a year (just too busy) but really enjoy it. I am hoping he says yes . . .I suspect, no black diamonds which is fine as I'm just looking for enjoyment of outdoors.

If not, I'm going to ask about cross country skiing (though I'm not very good at it)
  • You should be able to return to skiing although probably no bumps. You will have to really build up your trunk / core strength. I would also probably wait for at least a year to allow for your disc and nerve to fully heal. This is just me and I am not a doc, just a two-time veteran of the MicroD.

Get a good PT and let him guide you back. This is the safest way as they should be measuring your strength and flexibility.
  • I ski once a year and have continued to do this since all of my ops, encouraged by the advice of both my GP and spinal surgeons. I have had sum quite major tumbles since my op but sustained no major injuries, although I do as a rule of thumb try to stay sensible! After so long housebound and in my wheelchair I try to live every minute to the max as inevitably I will end up back in my wheelchair at some point!
    Take care and listen to your own body, you always know when you've pushed it too far.