Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 mnths post-op and pain in feet

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

I am four months post-op and am having pain in my ankles and feet when I go to get up from a sitting position. The pain is more like stiffness and I am not experiencing any swelling. I have also noticed that I am stumbling occationally when I walk, which I experienced before surgery. Has anyone experienced this? It feels like I've been walking around in heels all day!!!Doc says x-rays look great and said that these where issues that we have to deal with due to this was a salvage surgery.It's very hard to deal with the fact that I will never be able to do the things that I use to do before my injury. Doc says no work, sports,normal daily activities that we don't even think about when were well.Doc gave my husband strick instructions on what I can and cant do because I am a very stuborn person and will try to do them anyway. And its so bad now because the kids will tell on me if I do somthing that forbidden (laundry,vacuuming). I just can't come to gips with this and Im really getting tired of everyone treating me like Im going to break or something!!!Im thankful to the doc that I will be able to walk the rest of my life but I am bored out of my skull!!!!! I was a very athletic person so I don't have a lot of hobbies. Anyone have any suggestions to stop me from going crazy?

• It is not uncommon to develop foot pain following L5 S1 surgery. It happened to me, too. It has to do, I believe, with scar tissue formation on the nerve root where the surgery took place. Unfortunately, I have not been able to solve the problem. I have a spinal cord stimulator and whereas it helps the pain in my legs (which I had before surgery) it has only helped a little with my feet. The biggest help has come from ditching any shoes with heels and religiously wearing my orthotics. On the bright side, since you are so recently out of surgery, there is still a very, very good chance that this pain will resolve. Nerve pain following spinal surgery is common but kind of unpredictable. Susan