Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Every time I think I am okay...

DIFerrisDDIFerris Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
There a lot of days that I think my pain is not so bad that I need surgery. The pain medication I take seems to be doing a fairly good job. And then I will try to do a few things, like clean and laundry, and then I realize very quickly why I am going to have surgery. The pain is horrendous!

I had one such day yesterday. I have been so-so lately, so thought I would use the energy I had to try to do a little cleaning and a few loads of laundry. My mom has been helping out with cleaning chores, and my husband does most of the laundry these days, so I thought it was nice that I had some energy and was going to do some of it myself. :jawdrop: OMG... bad move. I had some of the worst pain episodes yesterday that I have ever had in my life. The electrifying pain in my back was non-stop!

And it takes a stupid moment like that to wake me up and bring me back to the realization that I am only so-so when I don't move much off the couch during the day. I will never have a normal (or close to normal) life without surgery.

So, once again, I know how much I need this surgery to try to get some sort of normalcy back in my life. I just wanted to share that with you all. I am 25 days until surgery now. It can't come soon enough for me. If I have to be in horrible pain, I would rather it be while I am recovering!

• When you do laundry and a few household chores, do you use anything to aid you so that you aren't bending and stooping during the process? Laundry can be the one chore that undoes all the rest and recuperation we have done to settle things down. I found that by bringing the hamper up to near chest level, using some large BBQ tongs to pull clothes out of the dryer, helps tremendously. Also the place used to fold the laundry is important. I have to use one of my kitchen counters to fold laundry on. Trying to use the kitchen table or the bed is too much subtle bending and it gets to me.

Hang in there, 25 days is a walk in the park. You can do it!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad it isn't long until your surgery. I know it probably seems like forever to you.
    I know what you mean about thinking you're okay. I'm at the point where I'm afraid to even say it. It seems like if someone asks me how I'm doing and I say I think I'm doing better darned if it won't get worse! Sometimes I think I'm jinxed! Even though you paid for it afterwards I'm sure you felt better for making the effort. The main thing is that after surgery you don't do that!
    Take care and hope you're feeling better.
  • We all try to delude ourselves that we'll be just fine. We don't need surgery, it isn't really that bad -- until we get that next jolt of pain. I realized something needed to be done and then had my surgeon tell me there was nothing they could do!! I just figured I would rot into a pile of painful jelly. I was so relieved to finally find someone to help me. Life is much better post-surgery. I hope it's the same for you.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thank you all for your continuing words of wisdom.

I am sure I did a little too much, even though by normal standards I did very little.

Linda, I don't know what I would do if at this point my doctor said there was nothing they could do for me. I would hate to think that this is as good as it gets for the rest of my life. Glad you stayed with it!

I know from everyone's experiences and advice that it will be a long recovery, but I am okay with pain if I know something good will come out of it, and that it won't last forever.

24 days now, but who's counting? :D

Hope you all are doing better.

• Hi Deanna

Since my surgery has been arranged and I'm going forward again, my pain has been less at times. I also found that by participating in this forum and thinking about other people's pain takes my mind off mine. On the good days, I think "oh good I can get out of having surgery", but then I remember something that Bruce said a while back and it was something like this "to remember the painful days and why we had to go to the doctor".

Keep busy doing all the things you need to do prior to surgery and those 25 days will go quickly.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008