Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS and effect on weight

anjuanaanjuan Posts: 236
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
I am scheduled for my SCS Boston Scientific trial next Thursday, October 8 for a 5 day period. I have been doing Weight Watchers and the weight has been very slowly coming off. My regular weigh-in day is Saturday so it will be during the trial.

Does anyone know how much the trial SCS itself weighs? Also, should I expect some water weight as a result of the trial itself? I am just trying to get a feel ahead of time so I won't be disappointed by what I see on the scale. I don't expect much, but an general idea would be nice so it can help me to just stay the course for weight watchers during the trial.

• You should be able to disconnect the external trial stimulator and take it off while you weigh in. That would just leave the leads inside and the external connection wire, which I would expect weigh less than 4 ounces combined.

If the nurses are willing to be a bit flexible, you could ask them to let you weigh before you go in for the implant and again on the way out, then you'll know the difference to take off of your weight at your WW weigh in. Heaven knows there's never a lack of scales in medical settings.. 8}

• I wouldn't worry about it much. BW has a couple off good suggestions. Look on the bright side, you may gain a little this week, but look at how much you'll lose the following week.

Hope you do well on your trial, mine is also next week.

• For the trial you should not swell and the IPG weighs very little. Less than half a pound. If you go ahead with the permanent implant you could have a lot of swelling. I weighed 3 pounds more the day after my surgery. The weight came off after a couple of weeks.
  • had no weight gain or water weight during the trial. But did want to share that 25lbs has fallen off of me since I got my permanent SCS installed last January. Finally able to get up and move instead of being reclined 23 hours a day, every day.

Good luck!