Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Artificial Disc Replacement

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Guys,

I was wondering if anyone on this board has had an artificial disc replacement on their cervical spine. I am wondering what the post-surgery life is like. For example, are you able to return to moderate to heavy athletic lifestyle in the longrun?

• return to moderate to heavy athletic lifestyle in the longrun..

I feel the same way and been reading up on new technology. I would like to try the M6 disc (win or lose)...

here is some info its in FDA trials right now...

• I had a prestige disc placed on 7-2-09. I'm a little over 3 mo. out now. It has been a longer recovery than I anticipated. My surgeon has said that I will have NO restrictions, though. I am having quite a bit of neck/shoulder, upper back pain. I can tell that it's getting VERY slowly better. Willing to chat more if you're interested.
  • i would love to chat..i'm looking at surgery on my c5-6 also. My symptoms are strange, however, in that all of 2007 and 2008 I had off and on again pain in my neck, left shoulder, and left arm right down to my thumb and ring finger. All of this year it has actually been my neck, both shoulders, and both arms with throbbing pain. The other curious fact was that for two years my left arm and fingers would be numb and tingly all the time..but that has died down a bit, though the pain has gotten worse. All of these symptoms will happen for about a month and then go away, only to return a month later when something like a pushup or getting up from bed or a chair wrong inflames it.
  • a three level fusion as my surgeons office called it,but he put implants in three levels in my cervical spine. I had full motion in my neck before my car accident and am now back to almost full motion again. Unfortunately due to the accident i am still healing in my neck,my surgeon said it would take another six months for full recovery.It was slowed down because of the accident.I was making great progress before it happened.My neck was feeling really good and my muscles were getting strong,everyone thought that i was doing really well.I did have some nerve damage because my spinal cord was flattened my the herniations but i was working around it.
  • On 9/2/09 I had surgery on my cevical spine at C6&7 my surgeon utilized a Pro Disk C. The x-ray is very impressive and also scary. The disk is held in place by two groves cut into my vertibraes and the disk sprayed with real sticky coating (teflon I beleive).

I have one restriction so far that I can not look straight up. My arm pain is gone along with my neck pain for the most part. After six weeks of surgery I get to start physical therapy and driving. I am glad I received the disk replacement compared to a fusion. It appears my recovery is faster and with less complications.
  • ^arodig...So your doing good with the pro-disc?
  • i am looking at a triple level ADR next year {maybe } but since i have found out about this i have worried myself to death and back .there is an awful lot of conflicting information about ADR i know that its still classed as experimental and the life of the disc are an unknown quantity and revision surgery is life threatening ..so do your research carefully and choose your surgeon well as its your body and if they screw up ......
  • I hear you straker im also woried but I know I need surgery...When I see the people at PT that had Neck Fusions its makes me want to cry....