Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My back and hip are THROBBING

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
It's not "new" but it is really starting to run me up the wall. My hip hurts so much I can't lay on that side at night, can't lay on my back either, my left side ( the only one not throbbing) seems to stay sore from having to lay on it all the time.

My pain meds do nothing for this hip pain, I have used heating pads, added a mattress topper, nothing seems to help. I am out of ideas, out of patience, but not hope. I am really keeping my hopes up that the SCS trial will help at least some with my pain.

Anyone got any other ideas that may help until the trial for the SCS in Nov? I truly would apperciate any ideas at all. I have a hard time sitting, laying and standing is a no no and has been since the surgery in '02.

Thanks for any helpful ideas. I know that everyone here has pain issues and has been where I am now, at some point in time or another. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

• I have found that an infra-red heating pad can help with some pain. It penetrates more deeply than a normal heating pad. Also, you can get the same sort of result from using a heat lamp (not for tanning, but for infra-red heat).

Have you tried rubbing a topical product, such as Bio-Freeze into the area?

Do you know the source of the hip pain?
  • i have found that changing the angle of your spine can help while laying on your side. i have my best results while laying on thin pad on the floor. if you take pillow and put it under your hip it can raise the hip up and change angle of your spine which can take pressure off the nerves. you will have to experiment to find right angle but its wonderful if you get relief. when i lay on floor my back is much straighter and there is less pressure on the nerves...hope you find that magic position....pete
  • I have tried so many of these rubs and have gotten blistered from all of them. I had a skin Bi-opsy done a couple years ago and the results are that my skin is sensitive to everything, well water, city water, grass, any chemical, even soaps, I must use either Zest, or Ivory to bathe. Lotions anything that you can use on your skin either brings about itching or rashes.

I have not however tried bio-freeze, mainly out of fear that it will create blisters like so many of the others. I do have some, and am trying to work up the nerve to use it lol. My last episode with rubs left me blistered for several weeks with raised blisters that had to be treated at the ER.

I am gonna work up the nerve for the bio freeze... Keep your fingers crossed lol.

• I'm currently going through exactly the same thing as you Kathy and think I'll try Pete's idea in a minute. I can't sit or stand either. However I don't have a mattress-topper or an infra-red heating pad (yet!).

Have you tried baclofen? It allows the muscle close to the spine/bone to relax, but only works on skeletal muscle, not smooth. The only problem with baclofen is that once you start taking it, as with some other drugs, it's dangerous to 'suddenly stop'.

Hope that helps.

• I have tried so many of the muscle relaxers that it's hard to remember them all. I know I have taken Flexaril, M&M's give me more relief (at least they are chocalote). Skelatin, Soma. I am currently on Zanaflex, 8 mg's 3 times a day. It helps, but not with the horrid hip pain. I now use a seated walker cause my hip feels like it will give out on me.

I had an MRI done, the S1 nerve is pinched by bone spurs and a bulging disc as well as scar tissue. The doctors have said that since my body produces so much scar tissue they don't think I should have another surgery until it is much worse. Therefore I am waiting on my SCS trial in Nov.

I am sorry that you are also hurting like this, it really adds a new twist to the pain we already have to endure.

• I have learned the hard way about having to line up my spine. I keep my ear even with my shoulder and shoulder with my hip, keeping my knees bent to line my spine up straight. This helps, but I have noticed that my back around that hip and just above it swells and it really makes it worse. Add in the fibromyalgia and man does my body hurt. The hip, back and Fibro all at the same time adds a new meaning hurt for me.

Thanks for the tip about the pillow I am gonna try that right now. Sitting is really hurting me. Take care and get some rest yourself... Don't overdo anything think about those leads!

• I use the infrared platinum heating pad velcroed to my back while sitting and it does heal the back pain and eases the muscle spasms for me. I think M&M's give me more relief too than flexeril =)) I hope it's okay I chuckled reading that now I have cravings for smarties. I hope you can get some relief. take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • do you find infared heating pads
  • well i have the same problem had surgeries already, it is the groin pain an S-1 joint injection would help for alongggggg time ask yr doc about it
  • Are you allowed to stretch? I found that by stretching my lower back and piriformis, hamstrings and hip flexors, that I could knock down a lot of that pain you are describing.

• Not sure if this would aggrevate the pain further or not but have you tried a tens muscle stimulator unit before?
This discussion has been closed.