Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back surgery Re Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi there.........My name is Michael , Im 33 years old. I had a car accident about 3 years ago. I have had 2 back operations, 1) Microdiscsectomy, 2) Fusion L4/5 S1, 3rd) Re Fusion L4/5 S1 within the next 2 weeks.

Has anyone had a re fusion...............I decided to get an Orthopedic surgeon to the the re fusion this time because i feel that I gave my neurosurgeon enough chances with my 2 back operations. Basically the neurosurgeon didn't have enough time to see me........he was too busy !

Im hoping that this surgery will actually work( bone to fuse) and that i don't have anymore complications during surgery.

I know what to expect ( after the operation , pain wise) but im still a little scared.

Since the car accident theses are my complications Sep 2006

Disc prolapsed into pieces , had microdiscetomy

Disc prolapsed again straight after surgery Dec 2006

Had fusion March 2007

Damage to Urethera from catherter during fusion surgery

Need to have surgery every 6 months to open up urethra, because of scare tissue. Don't have surgery wont be able to pee, kidneys shut down

Septic infection

Ulcers and stomach bleeding from antiimflamortory tablets

Damage to S1 nerve root when disc prolapsed , nerve was twisted and strechted .

Not to mention i have had 17 operations before car accident , from hernias, removal of cysts on epididimas , appendix, orchiddectomy x2 etc.

Im hoping my luck will change ........got to think positive .

cheers guys

• i cant really see your face but something tells me there is a smile on it. you have a long list of problems and procedures but i think you are the type of person who figures he can beat the odds and come out fighting. please keep us posted as to how you feel....pete
  • first off, WOW. I am thinking about having surgery again and not by choice. i had 2 TLIF surgeries for L5-S1. I ended up with bacterial meningitis 4 days after my first one and had to have a 2nd surgery because of my mental status to fix my punctured spinal cord (reason I had an infection) they replaced my hardware and i was in the ICU for a month. very long story short (i'm leaving out all the complications for later), the fusion didn't work. I am in some real bad pain some days because i can feel my "fusion" pop. I'm not on any meds and try not to take any because of my job (Military). I try to do what i can to stay busy and not think about it but it always comes back. I know i need another surgery to regain my life and sanity. i'm trying to stay doing what i love to do. so i have the same question. has anyone had a refusion and did it work. i sent out for information on TranS1 to see if i can have that done having had 2 prior TLIF's. but they sent me an information packet instead and it doesn't answer my question.

thanks guys
  • That is a lot of surgeries...they should give you a "Frequent Surgery" discount.

Just out of curiousity, are you going to the same hospital??

Is the ortho doing a different procedure? I assume he isn't just redoing what was done previously. Will he order a bone growth stimulator for you? If not, you might want to inquire about one.

Best of luck. We'll keep our fingers crossed on this one.

xx Gwennie
This discussion has been closed.