Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Watchful Waiting or Proceed with Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been diagnosed with advanced cervical myelopathy secondary to congential stenosis associated with both anterior and posterior degenerative changes to C3-C4 and C4-C5 based on MRI. I already demonstrate signs and symptoms consistant with progressive spinal cord dysfunction. I will likely require anterior and posterior cervical fusion and decompression. Over the past few years my right leg would get numb when driving a car more that 45-60 minutes. Two years ago I would loose feeling in my legs when I stood too long without movement (usually 10-15 minutes.) Once I sat down feeling would return in 2-3 minutes. I had an SSEP study which demonstrated slowing of conduction within the central somatosensory pathways. I have no pain and some stiffness in the neck and rarely have to take any pain medication. I have seen two neurosurgeons, one who advocates immediate surgery as a preventive measure for further cord injury; the other says I could do it now or wait for more symptoms I presume. One would do it as one operation the other as two. I would prefer the one operation if there is no greater risk.

Having read many posts I am unsure in which direction to go. It seems most of the posts talk about surgery to alleviate pain, which in some cases does not go away. There has been suggestions that for some they may have waited to long and there as been permanent spinal cord injury. I inderstand the risks for falls or accidents but it seems to me to be the same risk whether or not I have surgery. The other issue is no pain now but what is the outcome with surgery? Advice from those who have had to face the same issue would be appreciated.


  • The folks here who suffer from cervical myleopathy will tell you that it cannot be undone, but that surgery can prevent further advancement of damage and symptoms.

  • Brek, I can't suggest what you need to do, but I will tell you what I told my NS and my arm surgeon with my Ulnar nerve entrapment issues. I had ulnar nerve transposition surgery based on the following criteria: What are the chances of it improving on its own? and Is the damage permanent? In the case of the arm, the self-improvement or PT improvement chances were very slim...improving symptoms at best and not slowing damage. The damage could be permanent. I had the surgery without looking back.

    My cervical spine issues didn't offer as clear of an answer. My NS kind of waffled, so I opted for more time. However, the symptoms and pain have ratcheted up so much in the last 4 days, I am ready to get something done.

    Ask your Doctor(s) about long term prognosis for waiting and/or having surgery. Ask Dr. #2 about any real advantages/disadvantages to waiting. Looks like Dr. #1 already made up his mind.
Sign In or Register to comment.