Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recumbent bike

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 65
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hi All,

ernurse was right, I need to have patience but I don't! My doc said I could try the recumbent bike. Has anyone used a recumbent bike? Can I get a decent workout without hurting myself more?

Thanks and hope all are doing well. Ann

• Hello - I have one in my computer room, I game and cycle at the same time, 2 ways to distract the mind and get a work out.

It has been my savior for almost 10 years. If I cannot go outside, I can always get 10-20 minutes inside and game with a few buddies.

Cheers - C45
  • I tried to use a recumbent bike and found that it does not work my body enough to give me any sort of aerobic benefit. Also the way it tilts my pelvis, causes my lower back to hurt after a few minutes.

I found an upright bike or treadmill do a better job with less to no pain and aerobic benefit.

• Thanks for the replies. Can you run on the treadmill "C"?
  • I am not allowed to run. So I will modify the elevation and speed so that I can burn about 500-600 calories per session. I usually spend between 45 and 75 minutes 4 to 6 days a week on the treadmill. I put a flatscreen TV and sound system in with a DVD player and I will watch movies and TV series while getting some exercise.

I love it. I can get a good work out and add hand weights and arm exercises to supplement the lower body and core work. Sometimes I use a 2kg medicine ball to work on upper body and balance.

The treadmill has really helped me to overcome a lot of balance issues.

Hope this helps.

• I use the recumbent bicycle for 30 minutes daily. I do take a few seconds breaks in between because to rest my foot. But I burn off 100 calories on low speed. It was helpful to burn off the lactic acid in my muscles like any exercise would do but it's relaxing to watch TV while on it. It was a good investment to me and my husband likes it also. i'm waiting to get a manual treadmill to use in the winter. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am post spinal fusion (lumbar) and found an uprigt bike really great in short periods i.e. 5-10 mins. really helpful for some post surg. nerve pain in the hip. The recumbant bike, I rode leaning forward, mainly b/c I was wearing a back brace, however, I found in this forward position, I also got a diff. work out that seemed to also stretch my hamstring muscles which are frequently compromised in low back coonditions. I keep my workouts now short, but presurgery, used both bikes to get into awesome presurgery shape I also did elliptical machine, and treadmill on slight incline to activate glute muscles to help support my low back. I gave up both of my loves, soccer and running for this whole thing and hope to one day rehabilitate myself back to those activities.
    Try holding handles on recumbant bike so your body is leaned slightly forward and you can feel your hamstrings pulling slightly....
  • I think you'll just need to experiment to see what you can cope with. I have had different doctors tell me different information pertaining to a recumbant bike. The surgeon told me it would be fine, but my second surgeon was vehement about NOT using one, saying it would be very bad on the pelvis and hip areas and put too much strain on the lower lumbar and sacral discs.

But I imagine it depends on your specific issues as to which pieces of equipment are OK or not.

How are your injuries coming along?