Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Very Nervous

lilmamallilmama Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Spinal Injections
I'm having my first ESI on tuesday. This is 8 weeks after a discectomy and laminectomy. I continued to have lower back pain, leg pain, and hip pain and my new Dr wants to try it since my surgeon that did my surgery never tried any to start with. What can I expect? He is going in on my side since he can't go in on back due to the surgery. Do these injections really fix your dics bulges or what is the real purpose of them?

• sorry you are still in pain. ESIs dont fix anything but if they ease pain it will help in your physical rehab...here is info from SH on esi....try to stay calm. i had a few of them and never suffered any pain from procedure...pete
  • I'm confused. Your signature indicates that you had injections. Were they for a different purpose?

The purpose of the injections is to take away inflammation. They do not heal a herniated disc, but they may contribute to the healing of a herniated disc.

• gwennie17 said:
    I'm confused. Your signature indicates that you had injections. Were they for a different purpose?

The just did injections of Toradol, no SI's.

I'm just wondering if this is really the right decision and the right thing to do for me. It seems that they don't really "fix" bulging or herniated discs, so what's the point of doing them?
  • I just had my first and only ESI 10 days ago at L5/S1.

It's not that bad really. If you've been through a discectomy, then the ESI will be a walk in the park!

5 minute procedure, really. They had me take a Xanax before the procedure, and I can tell you right now that if I have to get another injection, I wouldn't bother with the Xanax.

And no it doesn't do anything to the bulge. It helps the inflammation of the sciatic nerve at the bulge. So the point is to relieve that inflammation which will relieve your sciatica symptoms.

Good Luck!
  • So, lilmamma, how did it go? Was it as bad as you thought it would be?
  • Well, it went a lot better than I thought. It was quick, painless, and so far pretty effective. I was given light sedation, and let go nearly 15 minutes later. Actually I've felt quite a bit of pain relief. I think we've found the right combo for pain relief for me. The injections, the combo of pain medication and muscle relaxers, and the muscle stimulator I was prescribed are so far working well for me. And actually I had a right nerve root block, and a ESI on L4, 5, and S1. We'll see how long the relief lasts though. I have another set of injections scheduled for next week too. My Dr. likes to do 3 sets, 3 weeks apart.