Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain signature maladies

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
They seem to irritate some And they can be a distraction.
Personally, I got tired of explaining to people who were interested, The medical facts. Mostly because I can't type. Well.I did take typing 1 in my sophomore year in high school. But that was just to be nearer to the girls. LOL.
I passed with a complimentary D- just cause the teacher didn't want to see me next semester. I did how ever type 30 words a min. with 6 mistakes. But that was a million years ago!
And I'm "computer chalenged" and I didn't know you could put that info. in med. history, and tell people to click my name. And they could get that information. I still don't know how to navigate through this site. But I was determined to learn how to do that much. It took me a long, long time but I finally got it!
I never did like seeing all that info in my signature line. Or novel as I like to call it. Now thanks to finding out it bothers some, and some giving me a little help, I don't have to see it every time I see my signature!
I absolutely don't feel the need to validate myself and I just don't play that I've had more surgeries than you game. I don't like it and don't need it. So that's why it was there and that's not there no more.
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Good for you Jim!! I had to laugh at your comment about getting nearer to the girls. That was the excuse given by the guys who were in my typing (and home-ec) class too!!!
    I found the conversation about this the other day pretty interesting. I had never thought it as a competition, but a way of understanding where the person is coming from, and is the only reason why I put it in mine as well. Well, that and laziness, lol, as I also didn't want to repeat myself time and again. If I thought it a competition, I wouldn't have added anything, as I'd be the last one in for sure, lol. The only competitive nature I find here, is on the posts where someone has stated that someone else is obviously not in as much pain as them. Or, when they repeatedly state how many surgeries they've had, or how long they've been in pain for.
    So anyways, I guess the reason I keep mine on, again, is pure laziness, and if I don't want to see someone else's that I've already read, I just scroll past it. I also like seeing it in the sig lines for other people, because again, I couldn't be bothered with going to view their profile, and with my memory, if I've forgotten something, it's there as a quick reference, in case there is something pertinent or relevant I can add to in a reply. I also have had quite a few pm's sent to me from people who saw in my sig line that I had a foraminotomy done, and there really is not that much info out there on this particular type of surgery. Who knows, maybe I'll edit mine, and just give that info, as I do believe that's helped some people.
    Funny, how different people perceive different things...
    Hope you're doing better since taking those tumbles on your trip!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • you seem a lot younger now =D> in the past when i saw your signature and the date your accident occured i said to myself boy, this fellow is pretty old. now without that date i will think of you as an avid hiker who wants to keep moving... :-C i should do the same...40 years of pain can be depressing.
  • Well, since someone else brought it up....

I've always been a bit annoyed when I open a thread and there's a few 1-2 line posts with 40 lines of signature between them.

I never brought it up myself because it always seemed like a comment destined to set off a flame war. :|
  • Jim,

A good topic and some great replies already. I found that building the medical history was better and could be more accurate then trying to scrunch things into a signature line. BionicWoman said exactly what I feel as far as 1 or 2 lines and then half a page of signature. What a waste! Not to mention that the message gets lost. Eve has done well with her signature line in making it succinct, but not everyone will see the value of doing that, instead they will try to "one up" as the others have already brought up.

What I found is that when someone posts, if they make a brief comment about their own experience in that post while relating their experience to the originator, it goes over far better than expecting the person to read a signature or medical history. (sorry for the run on sentence I'm tired)

Some posters are intimidated by reading signature lines and won't respond for fear they won't "measure up". I can't tell you how many times I've seen people post that "my problem is not nearly as bad as most here, but ..." That's because they read some signature line that sounds intimidating.

The other thing that tends to crack me up about signature lines (and someone else brought this up a few days ago), is how signature lines read like an MRI or OP report when the actual posts made by the member sound like mumbo jumbo jibberish medicine.

That's my $.02

• For myself with other members, I like the basics being covered. It helps me understand their situation better.
    I added mine for the same reason - for others.

However I also understand the other end of the scope ;)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    If I could write well enough to condense it I would leave it just out of laziness. But I've got more issues coming up and it would just get longer. And I always thought it was too long already! Kelly I would have to say your sig. line is just right.
    And there were very good pros. and cons. from everyone . And it was a civil difference of points of view. ...........YEAH!..................
    Good luck, Jim =D>
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I put mine up for a while. Didn't at first. Have removed it. Did not intend to leave it up forever. If I didn't have spine issues and chronic pain I would not be here now would I?
    We would have no interest in this site if we didn't have problems would we?
    I awoke very early with my toes on fire and feet throbbing with pain so naturally I sat down and turned to SH waiting for pain meds to kick in.
    Everyone has read my stuff so no longer need it.
    Patsy w
  • Removed mine becuz it's not direct med terminology.
    And as patsy said, wouldn't be here if I didn't need to be.
    As anyone else, why be here if we don't have spine issues.
    Will just update history soon with correct terms as soon as I can find paper with all those big words. Which I feel I'll probly not understand all that either.
    But it does take up alot of unneccessary room when some can go on and on.
    But would be best.
    Like a post a few days ago that wasn't ever in profile wish would have answered the question in the first place.
    Guess that everyone needs to do this and we can just sign,
    Updated profile! Issues posted there!
    It's hard to not be intimidated by all that info especally
    When we aren't xray techs or drs that know what alot of conditions are.

• Being I'm one of the people that mentioned the competition aspect, I thought I'd add my two cents. I fall along the lines of C. I don't mind seeing a couple of lines indicating your problems. What I mind is the long laundry list of everything on the MRI or some other Radiologist report.

If anyone is interested, I will be glad to assist in helping them set up a nice looking Medical History. Here are a couple of tips to snaz it up:

1.) Some HTML tags work, i.e. <table>, <ol> (ordered lists)
    2.) One thing I noted is that the display area for the history is very narrow. If you use a &nbsp; instead of a space, you can extend the line.

• I added a basic history of my condition as a sig because when I joined here it seemed like the norm (almost everyone seemed to have one). I thought they were there to give other members a basic idea of what your condition is, and as a more convenient alternative to explaining what is wrong with your spine every time someone asks. I must admit the idea of people seeing it as some sort of competition (i.e. "my spine's worse than yours!") never even entered my head. Should we stop using them, do you think? I must say it feels a bit strange sometimes reading a short post with a load of medical jargon attached at the bottom. It's the first sig I've ever had in all the message boards I've been a part of.
  • I prefer for members to have a short and sweet signature line, but as inclusive as possible with regards to spine issues. I don't want to have to go back to previous threads to see what that member's issues and treatments are and/or have been. When I click a member's name to see their medical history, it seems to take forever for that page to load.

Since I've had my signature and updated it with new spine issues, I've received quite a few PMs from new members who've read my signature and want to talk about how my treatments have worked, how surgery recovery was, etc. etc. That's one of the reasons I'm here, so I'll keep mine. I have condensed it, though.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Is to keep Signature lines at a minimum. Not to be used to display one's medical history. If anything, it can be used as a pointer within Spine-Health.

The monitoring team does use the signature line for many things.
    - Link to other critical Spine-Health resources
    - Suicide Hotline Numbers
    - Pointer to Spine-Healths FAQ
    - etc

The old Spine-Health limited your signature line to 5 lines. That was ok, also because the old site had official code that would list a members condition.
    With Drupal, that does not exist. I put together a add on that will allow you to add all you want about your medical history. Do you want 1 page, 2 pages, 5 pages, go for it.
    One drawback, If you have information in your signature line and then update your Medical History in your profile, your signature line is wiped out.
    So, the best way to do this is to add your medical history to your profile and then streamline your signature line.

Currently, we limit the signature line to 20 lines.
    I am seriously considering changing that to 10 lines.
    Rationale When you open any post on this site, the information is pulled in and then the wizards of Networking/TCP sends and receives data so you can see it.
    When you have 3 lines in your signature, that can be handled pretty easy. But if you have 20 lines in your signature and many others the same, that
    will led to a slowdown in viewing posts.

If you have any questions about adding your medical history to your profile, just post away
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i keep mine on to impress all about i am in more pain than anyone else. so there
    no just kidding. i keep mine on to let others know that i have gone through what they are going through and maybe my experiences could help others. when others have fusion quesions, i have had a few and maybe my 2 cents put in can help others deal with issues. i have had people e-mail me and ask questions about things that have happened to me or proceedures. i think it can be helpful but sometimes i feel some are playing the i hurt more than you game especially when i don't know what these maladies are that people put in. this goes back to my i don't understand you post i made last week.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Jon and LadyBug... my opinions are similar to yours.

A little summary of what our members have experienced, what medications they are taking and any future surgeries they may be facing... all help me to understand where they are at in their chronic pain lives.

I also enjoy the quotes people include after their signature lines. Some make me laugh, some make me smile and some are simply great to ponder.

LadyBug... I am sorry to hear today is a sad one for you. Hope tomorrow will be more uplifting for you.

Thank you for posting this thread, Jim.

Tammy :)
  • by agreeing with me and taking the same position i do you have proven that you are one of the most intelligent, good looking, and sensitive people in the whole world. also like me your agreement with my positions prove you are also humble. it's hard to be so perfect like me. now i hope those who have a problem understand some of my positions and put words in my mouth understand that i am putting people on. anyone who agrees with me is brilliant and that is the fact jack/ to all those who appreciate my humor, god bless and to those who don't appreciate my humor, god bless
    have a great weekend to all my spinal friends. i like this board because for the most part we give respect, incite and compassion to others in pain. i enjoy reading and posting and i hope that my incites will help others cope and by reading your post you have certainly helped me cope.
    remember you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose. feel free to contact me with questions that you feel that i might be able to help you with. and no i did not just take a pill or suck on my fenatyl lollipops
    your friend in pain
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Dear Jon,

I must dedicate this chorus to you. It reminds me of you... so very much. I can't carry a tune... but, it's the thought that counts... right?

Ahem... here goes!

"Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble... when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror...'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me... I must be one hell of a man. Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble... but, I'm doing the best that I can."

Jon... I have always appreciated your humor and I always look forward to more. I also enjoy your thought-provoking posts, as well.

Thank you, for this post. It's a keeper and you got me laughing so hard over here!

God bless you, my silly humble friend...

• =))
  • I'm fairly new to the site. First let me say, I loved your serenade to Jon. Cracked me up.

I was very glad to see this thread about the sig lines. I was actually starting to wonder if I belonged on this site since so many people have many more back issues & had many more surgeries than I've had, but I guess it boils down to, we all have chronic pain, looking to get & give support & info from people who really KNOW & that's why we are all here to begin with. (Sorry, I'm the queen of the run-on sentences 8} )

I am very interested in the anti-inflammatory diet you created for yourself. I read something a long time ago about how beneficial that type of diet can be but don't really know what they consist of. I'm guessing since you created it yourself, it probably doesn't taste too bad & it works. Would you mind sharing? Thanks

PS: Just to give you an idea of my history, since I don't have it in my sig line, I have congenital degenerative scoliosis, last 3 & 1/2 yrs. it went into full revolt. T12 laminectomy, L1-L5 fusion, tons of tests & procedures & have an upcoming double surgery to fuse from T10-S1.
  • I've kept the same format for a long time now..short & sweet and to the point. I'm also not trying to "brag" or anything, just merely giving a snapshot of my conditions and current meds. I also agree that 20 lines is excessive to say the least...you might as well copy your whole medical chart. So...just the facts man/ma'am. ;)
  • Hi Annie,

It's so nice to meet you. :H Welcome to Spine-Health!

I am very glad you found Spine-Health and posted a hello under this thread. You are absolutely right about the number of surgeries some members have reported. Some are amazing to read about. It doesn't matter how many surgeries a person has had (or hasn't had)... if you are suffering with chronic back pain, we can relate and we welcome you!

There has recently been a question tossed out, about how much information to put on our signature lines. It seems that 10 lines is an acceptable number... which seems very reasonable to me.

I would be more than happy to share with you my anti-inflammatory diet. I will need some information from you, so I will send you a PM. I try to personalize the diet according to your likes and dislikes... as much as possible.

I would love to talk with you about your upcoming surgery. If you could start a new thread in the "Thoracic" forum... (it's down a few blocks) we can discuss your history and upcoming surgery over there. If you open the first post from Ron Dilauro titled "Thoracic Pain Sufferers"... my information is on #55. You can read through other members posts and also add yours to this list. :)

I am looking forwarding to helping you set up your anti-inflammatory diet and I will look forward to supporting you before and after your upcoming surgery.

Once again, welcome to Spine-Health!

Take good care,

• Thank you so much Tammy. I'll definitely look at the Thoracic forum & I'll start a new thread. Don't know what I'd do without yours & everyones support!
  • speaking of humor. last year i posted an innocent albeit a little off color joke for everyone to enjoy. believe me it was innocent and not dirty in the slightest. but be that as it may, one of my "friends" on the site flagged it as offensive and i got it taken off with a warning. i couldn't believe it. i won't post again because this person might be trolling around the site and i don't want to get another message about my humor. it goes to show you that people cause problems because they don't like you not because it was offensive. people just like to cause problems just to make waves. fortunately, this person is no longer posting. we need to get over these personal vendettas and try to lighten up. a sense of humor goes a long way to help us deal with our pain.
    get er done
  • OMG, you guys are tearing me up! Stop it...it hurts...

• Peri-colace on the way!

(It shouldn't have to hurt, Cath!)

• We have bottom wipes in ever room of the house.(grandkids)
    This is what I do..... when I take narc I chase it with B.S.
  • remember if a duck flies upside down it qucks up
    if your nose goes on strike, you pickit
    you need to beg me to tell the joke that got an offensive flag. believe me, it is not that bad, it is kind of cute. time to see my urologist dr ben dover. stop it, it hurts. now were all going to get banned for not sticking to the subject
  • A good case of "Depends", Jon.

• I can't contribute much to the humor....unless you find my question funny. Where does a member go to add Medical History? I cannot find it--nowhere in my account settings, not on the edit account page. L)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Inchworm;
    If you click on My Account, then Edit, you will see more options written in orange beside Edit, one of which is Medical History. Click that, and there you go!!
  • Well, I'll be...thanks, Kelly! image

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
This discussion has been closed.