Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weird symptom? Help please...

JennyfooJJennyfoo Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone! I atually have thoracic problems in additino to lumbar, thoracic being the main prob now, but since this forum is busier, I decided to ask here.

Ok, since my back injury I've had a problem with crazy sweating. I sweat buckets from my head. At first I thought it was the horrible exertion and pain when I was in such bad spasm and pain I could barely move. Now that I'm feeling better, more mobile, getting beck to I'd say prob 60% of normal activity, It's happening ALL the time. Not when I'm sitting doing nothing, but even just a shower and fixing my hair, putting on makeup, will result in sweat dripping down my head. I'll dry my hair and it will be soaked around my temples and in the back immediately. I actually went and chopped off the rest of my hair yesterday in an attempt to deal with this better. I was tired of sopping wet hair. Now it's boy-short, so easier to towel off and look ok. It's becoming a serious problem since it's getting cold and I'm dripping sweat from my head, down my neck, and I'm FREEZING, shivering cold!
I asked my Dr about it, and she said it was common for people in pain to sweat. I don't think she "got" how bad it is. And besides, I don't have to be in much pain or even discomfort at all to be dripping wet. It's embarrasing as heck and I'm gonna end up a complete shut-in if this continues.

Does anyone know what could possibly cause this? Any suggestions?

• I have the same problem. I think it is from my pain meds, and pain, and also I chock it up to being a woman and 49. I have short hair and it gets wringing wet, and I am doing nothing. So dont worry about it, I take oxycodone and fentanyl patch and have heard alot of people on oxy have the same symptoms. Hope this helps.
  • i have difficulty linking sweating to the spine. to me it sounds more endocrine. it could also relate to blood sugar. my advice would be to see an endocrinologist. i hope you find solution....pete
  • I'm diabetic, but my blood glucose is totally stable, so that's not it. I've been on Oxycontin for nearly a year, and this is new: no new meds. I tried Cymbalta to help with pain about 6 months ago and I did the same thing. Stopped it, and I was fine. This is just so weird. My Dr. didn't take it seriously when I asked her about it, but this is like embarrasingly disgusting and I can't stand it, not some little annoyance. I won't go out in public unless I ABSOLUTELY have to, like this.

I've actually heard that with a spinal injury and inflammatino problems, the sympathetic nervous system can go wacky, causing weird symptoms. Sweating is regulated by the SNS. Anyone else ever heard of that?
  • heres an interesting article that discusses excessive sweating; they do mention that nerve damage from diabedies near the sweat glands can trigger it
    i used to have a really strange thing happen with sweating. if i drank a glass of water i would sweat it out in no time but if i didnt drink the water i dtdnt sweat at all. i found out i had pituitary tumor and when it was removed i no longer had those symptoms....pete
  • Very interesting article Pete. It can't be the diabetes. I'm type 2, caught early, and only by a glucose tolerance testm and my levels are great, never were bad to begin with, just borderline when it was caught. I do have an autoimmune disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis too, but this is a new symptom and I'm nearly symptom-free of the arhtiritis disease thanks to immunosupressant meds, which I've been on for nealy a year, so that couldn't be it either. This is just so weird and disturbing. I'm absolutely freezing cold, sweat pouring down my head and neck, after helping my hubby find the Halloween decorations in the garage. I wasn't doing hardly anything. Augh!
  • and it is so frustrating. I break a sweat just doing my hair. I used to never sweat but now my face will be covered with it and it will be running down my back. I thought it was from having problems with the spine which causes me to have to work harder to get things done being that my spine isnt functioning normal but could be anything. Im dont take any oxy type meds but im sure almost any pain meds could cause this side affect.
  • jennyfoo...if there is some nerve problems caused by either diabedies one or two then the nerve irritation could be cause.

and ref...you have been suspected of possible ms which can also cause perifferel nerve damage so that might relate to you also......pete
  • i just checked the article again and found that spinal cord injuries can cause excessive sweating!!!
  • I figure I'll give it a little time. I'm doing MUCH better, but I'll wait a few weeks and if this is still going on, I'll go back into my Dr. and ask for a referral to endorinologist and perhaps a neurologist, whatever my dr. thinks I guess. She'll probably run a bunch of labs too, knowing her.
  • If your a man or woman and taking opiates for pain and have been doing so for more than 6-9 months I wouls ask to have thyroid, testosterone (male), estrogen(female) and progesterone (female and possibly male).
    I'm cetainly not trying to diagnose anyone, but just calling on my passed experience and literature confirming opiates can have an affect on the HPA and HPG endocrine systems.
  • Have you had your thyroid checked? Maybe your are suffering from a hyperactive thyroid? My mom has this condition-she swings between being hyper and hypo. Hyper makes her sweat too. Just a thought...
This discussion has been closed.