Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Size of Neck can impact your stability

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I recently had some medical discussions with my Deep Tissue person (who has medical credentials that would allow him to be a PA (Physician Assistant) and several doctors.

The topic was size/length of your neck. I have want is considered a Short neck. Its not the actual length, but how is proportionally with the rest of your body.
Short necks are known to give those people are more difficult time with Discs and Muscles.

Those that have Long necks can have the same problems as those with short necks.

The best neck to have is a Medium neck.

I wish I had the actual sizes (inches) to illustrate this more. Much of it has to do with the way your neck can support your head.
Overall, everyone said that if you have a Short or Long neck, you will need to exercise and strengthen your neck more to properly support your head.

When I get more information about this, I will post it here.
I just found to be very interesting
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ron,
    That is interesting. I wonder if the size of the neck then correlates to different exercises as well? Like one shoe doesn't fit all thing. Meaning that maybe a certain group of muscles or tendons are more pron to weakness?
  • That would make sense! We could get better exercises and advice from PT and the rest of the health Prof, if they paid more attnetion to the individual differences, and not so much on the cookie cutter medicine that we see at times.

Too - it means that we have to be responsible and realize when we are putting ourselves at risk, but engaging in high risk activities, for those with compromised backs to start with.

At least now- I know that I am broken, I look back at all the years of not knowing and what I did and wonder, shoot - I coulda easily would up in a wheel chair. And never known why, until now!

Thinking more- back later - C45
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,855
    The answer: Well I am still not sure how to tell.
    The size (short/medium/long) neck is really how it is proportional to the person's head.

I have what is considered a large head (ok, no laughs).
    When I played football in High School, they had to special order a helmet to fit my head. XXLarge doesnt cut it, I am almost an 8.
    So to a trained person, they can look at the length of the neck and comparison to head size to determine if it S/M/L

The past two weeks, I have been having alot of pain, muscle tigthness and spasm in the left side of my neck.
    I started to really loss range of motion and the headaches associated with cervical problems started to crop up.
    I had my session today with my Deep Tissue person and he explained why and how this is happening.

For starters , I have a number of thoracic discs that are herniated or in other trouble. This puts a strain on my rhomboid muscle so it does not act like it should. So when the rhomboid is tight, it can start working its way Up/Down or across. Now since I have a bone on bone situation in my left shoulder due to arhtritis, the rhomboid problem decided to move upward. In the scapala and through the tendons that eventually support and give strength to my neck. Well since nothing was working correctly, my DTM really had to get down deep and dirty. This was just one of those sessions, where I know I screamed curse words at this guy and whimpered like a baby.
    As we finished, he just said do Nothing tonight or you will curse me in the morning.
    But knowing this guy, I will feel better tommorrow.
    I need to. In about 3 weeks we are going on a 2 week vacation down to Sarasota, Florida. My wife and I will be driving down, while my kids and their SO will be flying down on 11/14. We have a 3 story condo rented. So, I need to be at the top of my game if we are to drive down to Florida from CT and not have any problems
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com