Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update- SCS trial a go for tomorrow

anjuanaanjuan Posts: 236
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Management
I had been tentatively set for the SCS trial for this Thursday. I just got a call from my PM Dr's office that the trial is officially a go since they got all of the needed approvals. I am scheduled for first thing in the morning at 8 am. Suddenly it seems so much more real and I have butterflies in my stomach. I am not nervous about the pain of my procedure. My Dr. is really good with pain control. I am more nervous about whether the procedure will help me. But there are so many good stories on here that I am optomistic!

• I will be thinking about you Thursday morning.
    sending you a smile and a hug..Patsy P.

• Hi, Anjuan. :H Early morning is absolutely the best time for a surgical procedure. =D> The doctor and surgical staff are fully alert and rested, having arrived at work an hour or so earlier. You will have fasted at night, when you usually do, and you don't have to wait in hunger for your turn. B)

Good luck to you. I hope your trial is a big success! >:D<
  • I hope the stimulator works for you. Be sure to do the sorts of things you would do during the course of your normal life so that you know how this thing will work. Its unlikely to take away 100% of your pain and you might run into some obstacles that have to be sorted out between Thursday and whatever day you're in love with your stim. Let us know how it goes. Susan.
  • I found that there was no real pain from my trial. Yes i did have a little discomfort but nothing too dramatic. The leads were placed epidurally. You will have wires hanging out running to your programmer. I too did not know what to expect and was nervous. After it was over i had to ask myself why. I know everyone is different, but take a deep breath and you will be fine. Like stated above, you most likely will not get 100% relief. SCS is supposed to get rid of at least 50% of your pain. I felt drastic results a few hours at the procedure. You need to carry out your life as if it was usual during the trial. You will not know the true results if you do not get up and move. The only thing you should not do is reach, bend or twist too much. But then again, you sort of are reminded of the wires and have the tendancy to be careful. The one thing i found to help alot was some big bandaid patches from Johnson & Johnson. They are much better than what the clinic puts on and will not allow the wires to move much.
  • like others i had no pain either. because of arthritis they didnt get lead in all the way but they pushed and prodded for two hours...still no pain. i hope and pray it works for you....pete
  • I was nervous too. Actually I was a wreck. Once the rep turned on the trial stimulator, it was the most incredible feeling I'd had in ages. I didn't want it to stop. Every time he had to turn the stimulation off to make a setting change, it was like being a balloon and suddenly being deflated. Hard to explain.

Best wishes for a good trial.

• I have had a slight cough the past week. Well, it has gotten worse and I am coughing so hard it hurts my back and it is in my chest. I decided that I have to call my Dr. and let them know and I am guessing that they will postone the procedure.

I am really bummed out. I have waited some time for this procedure and now I will have to wait more. On the other hand, I am trying to tell myself that I want a good trial that can accurately tell me how the SCS can help me. I probably won't get that if I am sick.

I'll post what my Dr. says later. I decided to stay home today to rest up since I didn't sleep well last night because of the coughing.

One good thing to keep me positive is that today is my daughter's 5th birthday! She was so excited today. We are having a party on Saturday and going to McDonald's for dinner tonight (her request).

Thanks so much for everyone's support!
  • I spoke with my Dr office and they said that as long as I don't have a feaver they can go ahead with the procedure. I don't have a feaver. They told me to take some OTC Robitussin and call them back around 4pm to let them know how I am doing. If they have to reschedule I will have to wait another two weeks.

I am going to try to take it easy and hopefully I will feel better by tomorrow.
  • I'll keep my fingers crossed that you feel better soon.

• Hope you feel better to proceed tomorrow. I would love to have someone else to compare notes with as I go through my trial. Had mine put in this morning.

• Good luck with your trial. One thing that I found very valuable, was input from those around me who could "see the difference" the trial SCS made for me. It's real easy to second guess yourself and try to see if you are only getting a placebo effect. So input from others can be a huge help.

• My Dr's office called me around 3:30 to see how I was doing. We decided that things are a go for tomorrow at 8am. They said as long as I don't get a fever they can go forward with it. I took a long nap today and I am going to try to really get a good night's sleep tonight and hopefully my cough will calm down.

C, I know you addressed your comment to Dave about seeing how other people think you are doing, but I really like your suggestion. I will have family in town this weekend for my daughter's birthday party so I definately will be able to get their point of view which should be helpful.

I am excited but nervous for my trial tomorrow!
  • Hope all goes well and you have a successful trial.
  • I finished the trial on Tuesday, Oct 6 and as it is now Thursday, Oct 8, I feel like I am missing a part of me. I called my surgeon to get the paperwork started for the permanent scs. It helped me enough to want it for the long term. Did it relieve my back pain 100%, no, but it relieved it enough for me to get it implanted for a much longer duration. It is just another tool to help manage pain, as the pain meds do, P/T, swimming, walking, etc, if these are recommended by your dr.

Initially I thought the device was going to help cure my back problems, but after reviewing this board and speaking with others, I was educated enough to experiment with the trial.

The worst pain was the removal of the tape after the trial.

Good luck for those considering it.