Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this the new normal

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 65
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Depression and Coping
I just had my accident a week ago. My spine isn't nearly as injured as many here (fractures of L2-L5, spondo) and I just have to wear a brace and go to PT. I just suddenly feel so down about it though. I want to go out and be active. I hate having this brace and I hate that my back hurts. I KNOW I am fortunate I wasn't injured more than I am but this sucks. Is it going to always be this way? I already take Zoloft for depression.

Thanks and sorry to whine.

• I hope you posted expecting a little pep talk in return. Whether you have had surgery or an injury, such as you have had, recovery is a LONG, SLOW process...much longer than any of us going through it think it should take. If you can adjust your thinking to your body's schedule, you will be better off in the long run.

Think of the healing period as running a marathon, not a sprint. You may not see any progress for a while, but if you look for changes in terms of weeks rather than days, you will feel better about what is going on.

I won't give you the pep talk about being grateful that your injury is "fixable" and could have been much worse. It is normal to feel depressed after a major trauma to the body, and it will probably take some time to start to feel more optimistic. If you can focus on what you can do, and what you can do to follow your doctor's instructions to give yourself the very best chance for a full recovery, it may help with the feeling of loss. Also, in your case, your situation is temporary. This time next year you will be back to doing all the things that seem impossible at the moment.

Do what you can to maintain a positive attitude. Work hard with your physical therapist. Follow your doctor's instructions. Drink lots of water and walk as you're able. Perhaps you will be one of the lucky ones who heals quickly. And, of course, post whenever you have questions or need to vent! That is helpful, too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery --
  • its called all kinds of names including venting so vent away! we all need to do it sometimes. it helps release the inner psyche.goodness, please know you are among friends and if you ever feel the need to vent or chat or laugh there is always a spiney close by to join in with you.. :X stay close to the forum and you will be well before you know it!! all the best! Jenny :)