Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie, Single Mom, Pain, Depression

monibmmonib Posts: 102
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Depression and Coping
I don't know if this is normal or not. I am on antidepressants, anti-anxiety, and pain meds. Recently I have felt that I am worthless. I feel like no one will ever want to be with an old (42) woman with 2 kids, and on pain meds and anti-depressants. I feel like all is lost...I even think back to past bad relationships and actually find good in them. What is wrong with me? Will anyone ever find me attractive again? Sorry to vent just a very down day.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    but I really do not know what your spinal problem(s) are. What are your spinal problems? What kind of medications are you currently taking?
    The more information you provide us here, the better type of responses you will get.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have had low back pain for 4 years now. Spread into my hips and low pelvic area. I was had a SCS implant done several weeks ago...4 I think now and pain is better but not totally gone. Just so down. Have had more operations than I care to think about and I feel that no one will every see the beauty in me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    to understand. When we are down as a result of our chronic pain, everything looks so gloomy and dark.
    Just getting up in the morning becomes a chore. And to think about establishing a new relationship seems impossible.

There are so many people on this site that in one way or another express words similar to yours. I am sure
    we all know the coined phrase
    Love is only skin deep
    but there is a lot of truth behind that. Some members here are bound in wheelchairs, had to give up work, can no longer do the things they used to love to do...
    But they all have something in common:
    They dont give in
    And that extends to relationships as well as so many other parts of their lives.
    Who you were before 4 years ago when you started having back problems, has not changed. You the person did not change, what changed is having to deal with back pain and what goes along with it.
    I can only say based on what you mentioned, that you have been dealing with this for 4 years now.
    For many here, that seems just like yesterday.
    Believe in who you were before these problems surfaced and you might just be surprised
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm sorry you're feeling sad right now. I know you have qualities to offer in a relationship with someone else. Just being a Mother must be so rewarding also. Please see my signature link for positive affirmations. You can get in a relationship again but love yourself right now and feel your self worth. Chronic pain can bring us down more and make things seem more intensified. Please follow up with your Primary Dr. they maybe able to help too. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree with Charry. First you have to love yourself again. It's hard when you're in pain and every day is a struggle. It's also common to be depressed after surgery and it sounds like you've had a few. Give yourself time. Easier said than done, but this time next year things may be entirely different. In time the antidepressants will help you see things in a different light.

Being a mother alone is very difficult. Ideally it takes two parents to raise children. I was a single mother for 10 years and it was the hardest work I ever did. And not always rewarding as in the books. There are a lot of myths surrounding motherhood.

Do you have parents/siblings/neighbours/friends who may be able to help you? I have learned that people are very willing to help if asked. Some just need that request before they act because they think they're sticking their noses in. Ask, and accept some help while you need it. Let someone make your day and it will make theirs too. I'm talking emotional support as well as practical. Some day you may be able to pay back.

Good luck!