Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Pump Appontment

patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Management
Today I recieved some good news in the mail!!
My appointment with the Doctor who may be doing my pain pump implant arrived today!! It is set for the 14th!! Next week!! I have been waiting 3 months to hear from this Doctor!!
I have been needing some good news right now. And this IS good news. Perhaps, before long, I will get help with this savage foot and leg pain.
Keep your fingers crossed for me my friends
Patsy W :H

• I know that you have been having so much pain lately, it really is good news about the pain pump. Let us know how it goes and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Hi, Patsy :H I am hoping the pain pump will provide you the significant pain relief you need.
  • this will be a good comparison for you. i sure hope it works better than scs. how long will trial be in?
  • Great news!! I'm happy for you, and hope that this is the ticket for you!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • This is my very last resort.
    I have not even met this Doctor yet. This is my first appointment so I know nothing yet.
    Oh...but I have such high hopes this will work for me.

Perhaps I am counting my eggs before they hatch. Perhaps this is not the Doctor for me. I do not know yet. But I do have my first appointment and that is one step closer to hopefully getting the help I need to get this savage pain under control.
    Kathy...Thank you my friend. We both have been having a bad time of it havn't we? Keep your fingers crossed.
    Hi Brothers....Thank you. I am hoping for the relief too.
    Pete my friend...We are gonna make it aren't we buddy?
    Kelly...I know you are hoping the best for me.
    Thank you everyone for your well wishes.
    Sending everyone a left arm hug >:D<
    Patsy W
  • I hope your appt next week is productive and that the doctor will explain things in more detail. I know you waited for such a long time and can imagine how excited you are. Write down whatever questions you may have in case. I get nervous too and forget what I want to say. I'm going in to my appt too so I can be scheduled for my surgery and I'm so excited. It's been like..forever. Anyway, please let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions about the trial itself, feel free to PM me. Take care sweetie >:D<
  • Thinking Happy thoughts for you!

• Yes I am excited about this appointment. It's my last resort!!Yes I will PM you. I do have a few questions and thanks for offereing some advise.
  • Thanks for the happy thoughts. I am very excited about this appointment.
  • Great news about the appointment. I wanted to suggest that you search the different manufacturers of pain pumps for information on each one. My doctor gave me a DVD to watch about the one she would recommend if I were to be able to get one. It was good to watch the DVD as it answered many questions. If you can come up with this type of information prior to your doctor visit, this will help you to focus your appointment time on things you don't understand. I do hope this helps you Patsy. Good luck to you.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thank you for the comment. I have been reading all I can find about pain pumps.
    I have been waiting 3 months to hear from this Doctor and actually had given up. I am doing as Meydey said and am writing a list of questions for this Doctor. This is my last resort for help with this throbbing/pounding pain in my feet and legs.
    Oh if i can just get some reduction in this pain....it would be the most wonderful thing in the world!!
    Thank you for your kind comment and good wishes. That means the world to me.
    Sending a left arm hug, right arm is bunned out!! >:D<
    patsy W
  • I think it is great that you are finally able to get in to see this new doc. Please don't set yourself up for disappointment by having any expectations. Go and see what this doc has to say and press on from there.

• You are correct(as always) I can't build my hopes up. I could be in for a big let down.
    I will go see what this Doctor has to say and then take it from there.
    I was just now on the phone talking to a lady I know and she has been to this clinic and gave me a good report. That makes me feel better because I know nothing about these Doctors or this clinic.
    I am excited that i am at last getting into seeing them but I am not building my hopes up past that.
    Thanks for the comment dear
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • This IS great news Patsy!

My Mom had hers put in July 31. She had to wear this binding for a couple weeks at first, so the device could be all snug and allow the scarring to take affect. Coughing was uncomfortable for her, but nothing she could not handle (she is a smoker, so NO WAY was she going to complain!).

We've had appointments every 2 weeks since then for medication adjustments. They started her off at a low dose of Morphine (4microLs, which sounds like a little bit, but is like 10 times what she was taking orally - which is 60mg 3 times a day).

Keep in mind that once you have the pump, the medication is not filtered through your body - blood, organs, things like that... it goes directly to the problem area - your spine. Because of that, you don't feel the effects the same way you would if taken orally. Each time they upped Mom's dose, he said it was 200 x's stronger than before.

At this point (almost 10 weeks post implant) she still is not at optimum dosage and is still taking the breakthrough meds during the day. This Thursday (10/8) we are going to an "infusion clinic" for them to add something call Marcaine. I guess it's some sort of numbing agent (like novacane? Nurses out there, help me out if I am wrong). Mom and I are both hopeful THIS addition will do the trick.

I am not trying to hi-jack - just relaying our experiences to you so you'll get a feel for the general progression of things. Hopefully, your experience will be WAAAAAY better than hers (she's had so much with her back - she is 72, has had fractures fixed with kyphoplasty, the whole lung cancer thing a year ago in April, DDD, stenosis, hemilaminectomy, etc) and has been completely sedentary since last year - no exercise, etc). You being considerably younger, minus the smoking and cancer thing... I'm getting and sending the good vibes your way.

If you have any questions - any questions at all - feel free to PM me. I don't want to bore everyone here with details, but will gladly share any if you are interested.

Keep us posted, eh?

• Dear Jeaux,

What you shared here is so fascinating!

This paragraph really spiked my interest and I would love to hear more about the filtration:

"Keep in mind that once you have the pump, the medication is not filtered through your body - blood, organs, things like that... it goes directly to the problem area - your spine. Because of that, you don't feel the effects the same way you would if taken orally. Each time they upped Mom's dose, he said it was 200 x's stronger than before."

I have no doubts that Patsy appreciates you posting this information, Jeaux.

Patsy, I hope you have a positive visit and outcome with this new doctor.

There are other members who are also looking into the pain pumps and I know Meydey is waiting to have her permanent implant scheduled soon.

I wish your mom all the best with her pain pump. She is very fortunate to have such a loving daughter.

Thanks again for sharing this and best of luck to you, Patsy.

Tammy :)
  • Several years ago, my brother had a pain pump. He had to wear this little fanny pack with the device inside. Docs all said it was tamper proof. Yeah, not for my brother.

At any rate, MOM'S is totally different. It is ALL internal. No wires or tubes showing anywhere.

When we go to the doctor's office, he has this little remote control gadget. There is another part that they hold on Mom right where her pump is. These 2 parts communicate with each other. The doctor adjusts the meds from his device. Too cool. Thursday when we go, for the infusion part, I'll fill you in on that, Patsy, so you will know how it all works.

In the mean time, THAT would be a good question for Patsy to ask the doctor. How is the process of medication delivery different?
  • Thank you Jeaux for that good information. If you do not mind...please keep us updated on your Mothers progress. I know a lot of us are very interested. I know I am and I am sure Meydey is too. And that is a good question to pose to my Doctor. I do appreciate any information you can provide. I have made a note of the question for the Doctor. Thanks

Hi Tammy....Thanks for the comment dear friend and for the good wishes.
    Unfortunatly I had to change my appointment date to Nov 11th. I could not work out transportation for next week!! Drat!! It is just 3 more weeks but I have been waiting 3 months for this appointment!!
    I do hope this appointment turns out posative. This is my last resort!! I am not building my hopes up to high yet. First I will see how this goes.
    Now I am off to PT. This is my last day but I want to continue for a few more weeks and will talk to my Doctor about it. It is helping my legs to become stronger but have a ways to go yet.
    Cheers everyone
  • OK - I have the information you may want. First off, OY! Some of the info I gave was totally incorrect! She (my Mom) was getting 4 mg/L of Morphine (and not the 200+ I mentioned earlier). They added to that Mabivicane (or something like that) which is the numbing agent.

Mom's pump is Medtrinic. When filling the reservoir, the techs used a template with a hole in the center (where the needle must go for filling) but they had to squeeze and feel and poke and prod my Mom to be sure they had all the edges correct - the template had to be placed exactly right. Sounds complicated, but it wasn't.

At any rate once they found the outline of her pump and placed the template, the nurse used a needle and told Mom "Big stick" but that was the only discomfort she had to endure. They had to move the needle around until they found the hole, but it sounds way worse than it was.

Since they were adding this new numbing agent, they had to suck out the remaining morphine. Around 15 "somethings" - can't remember what they called it. It was alot! Her morphine was due for a refill end of November, so that should tell you how much was there; they just squirted it in a tray to throw it out and all I could think of was "what a waste. Medicare paid for this morphine and there they are throwing it out". After my Dad passed away in April, I brought his unused meds to the St. Vincent DePaul pharmacy for the homeless and I kept thinking along those lines - giving it to someone who could use it, I guess...

But we were in and out in 45 minutes. We were told that next time it won't take that long. Since there was still some morphine left in the tubing from the pump to the thecal sac in her spine, it may take about 15 hours or so before she begins to feel the benefits. We both have our fingers, toes and eyes crossed (but not while driving of course!) that this is going to be the ticket! Or a step in the right direction anyway.

Hope this info is helpful and positive for you, Patsy.
  • I hope you get relief soon after all you've been through. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Jeaux...What would I do without you my friend?? You are always a big help to me. I do so hope this helps your Mother.
    I appreciate all the information. I am doing as "C" said amd just taking this one step at a time. I am very excited about this first appointment but not making big plans about the actual implant. If that makes sense. I am not thinking "when" I get this implant but "IF" I get this implant.
    This has been a roller coaster ride for me. I had such great hopes for the stimulator and when the permanent implant failed to give me ANY relief the crash down was a hard!! Very hard
    I have a home based mail order business that has suffered. I still keep it going as best I can considering all the pain I deal with 24/7 and the difficulty I have walking and standing on my feet for extended periods.
    But I am rambling so say "Shut up Patsy!!
    Charry......Thank you for thinking of me. Your good wishes mean so very much to me.

Sending a lert arm hug to you both, right arm is a bummer.LOL
  • The pump and the SCS are 2 totally different devices.

My Mother did well with the SCS trial and they were actually going to implant one for her. Now, I love my Mom; but she is not very technologically savvy (she has a hard time with her little cell phone) and I was of the opinion that the SCS was just too complicated for her, what with all the turning on/off, adjusting when sitting vs standing, etc.

The pump on the other hand - well, it's just there. No tweaking on her part is necessary. Plus, the medication is flowing all on its own. I just know she will be getting relief from it; I just wish we could hurry and find the correct dosage for her! To me THAT is the worst part - the waiting. But, she and I have been through this so many times; it's like starting the PM from square 1 all over again.

But this is your decision and your decision only. Don't let anyone rush or bully you into making a quick decision about it. Take your time; review your options and hopefully, any one else on this forum who has the pump will chime in with their experiences.

Take care!

• for this gold mine of information and for sharing it with us, esp Patsy and me. I hope the pump continues to help your mom out and that it always runs smoothly Jeaux. O:)

Hey Patsy, sorry your appt was postponed. I hope these 3 weeks fly by for you, but meanwhile you have more time to gather intelligence about pain pumps. Please keep us posted; take care :H
  • Yes....Thank you Jeaux from both of us.
    Please keep posting, if you do not mind. Your comments are most welcome and very helpfull.
    At my first appointment with my PM I ask about a pain pump. That is what I wanted but he talked me out of it. He told me that they had a lot of problems he and only did pain pump implants on end of life patients. He did NOT say he did not do them. Then after my permanent implant he did an about face and said I should have the pain pump instead!! He should never have did the stimulator implant!! I reminded hem of that conversation we had and he said ..Oh no no all I was saying was I did not do them!! Sheesh....My sister and I both know what he said!!
    I am off to bed.
    G'nite ladies
  • If I was hijacking Patsy's thread. I was just thinking whether I should start a new one, then I saw your messages.

If Patsy wants me to continue posting on her thread, then I will.

Anything to help!
  • No, you are NOT hi-jacking my thread dear. PIEASE do keep posting. Meydey and I both are very interested in all you can tell us and I am sure others are interested too. Your comments are a big help.
    If anyone else has questions, or have a pain pump they are more than welcome to ask away or leave a comment.
    We are here to help anyone and everyone we can.
    I know Meydey is having her appointment for her pain pump soon and naturally I know she is interested too.
    Meydey you are welcome to jump in with any queations you may have for Jeaux. I am sure she will not mind answering them.
    I think it was very wise of you to have the pain pump for your Mother Jeaux. The SCS is just to complicated for the elderly in my opinion. I do hope how soon she can recieve the full benefits from her pump.
    Please keep posting. I always enjoy your comments and enjoy reading anything you have to say.
    Thanks again
  • It has been a while since I posted here but have not had any news to add. but now do.
    Saw my new PM today, my first visit to hem.
    First he wants this stimulator out, they do not work on me, so he can get a new MRI and can see just what is going on with my spinal fusion. My fusion is at L4&L5 just where my foot and leg pain originates.
    Anyway he wants a new MRI before he comes up with a plan. I go back Dec. 17th.

Hey...he also explained why the stimulator os not working for me!! Very interesting.
  • How about sharing the reason. Inquiring minds want to know.

• I'll send you a PM and explain why these stimulators will not work for me. It's very interesting.
    Patsy W
  • It might be helpful information for others to know why your doc feels spinal cord stimulation won't help the type of pain you have.

• It does not seem to be the "type" of pain I have because the stimulator is not helping me. I was told I was a perfect canditate for a stimulator because my pain is in my feet and legs.

This is the way my new PM explained it to me.

A stimulator works by scrambling the pain signals to the brain so it no longer recognizes the signals as pain signals. Some brains figure out it is being "tricked" by these scrambled signals and finds a way to work around the scrambled signals so it can continue sending the pain signals.

All I feel is tingling on TOP of my pain. Not a good feeling at all. How I wish it had worked for me...I would not be sitting here in pain now.

We all know a stimulator just does not work for everyone and this is why as it was explained to me.