Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help!! Should I have the disk fusion surgery??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
Please help!! Im a 38yr old female with no prior health problems and I fell a year ago and herniated my L5 vertibrae. Since then, Ive had two injections and a plasma disc decompression. I have been told by my doctor that I am a good candidate for disk replacement - but I am afraid.......so I have almost settled into asking for a fusion instead. I dont have insurance - but as mentioned, its a slip n fall case so all doctors are on a lien - so, everything is COVERED! Please let me know what the recovery time is, and how long out of work, how long in bed, any movement problems after, etc. Thank you for your input :0)

• that I just gave to a poster with a similar question. I hope that it helps.
    Have you tried every conservative treatment available? That and a second and maybe even a third opinion would be my suggestion. There are no guarantees with surgery. Some folks have success and some folks have worse pain than they had pre op. Which you will be is impossible to predict. You and your surgeon are the only ones that can make the decision. Do your homework and research all that is possible on the surgery and your surgeon. Check out the surgery topic and I feel sure that you will find folks that have had the same surgery that you are thinking of. Just remember that everyone is different and that somebody elses outcome may not be at all the same for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • welcome to spine health. you have joined up with a great group of pain sufferers. i am sorry you are having this trouble. i am not a dr but i have read quite a bit about adr s.
    if i had a choice between fusion and adr i think i would lean toward the adr. the reason for this is that there is less of a tendency for disks adjacent to L5 to break down over time because of added stress to them after fusion. get a few opinions and ask a lot of questions.
    also it takes less time after adr to get back to moving again...take care....pete
This discussion has been closed.