Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introducing me!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions

Claire from Tasmania - looking for inspiration to avoid surgery for a herniated disc. Lots of reading to catch up on in here but nice to find a group of people who know what it feels like!

Cheers for now.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by all the way from Tasmania! we have spineys from all over the world! please make yourself at home and get comfy to do alot of reading and talking to other spineys.. be sure to check out the "Back and Neck" surgery forum for more input on your procedure. :D good luck! Jenny :)
  • Hi Claire

I'm Trish from Western Australia - welcome to Spine-Health.

Keep reading as much as you can and I hope you can avoid surgery - it's the last option we have when non-surgical treatments don't relieve pain.

Would be lovely to hear more from you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Claire

Welcome to Spine-health
    I am glad you have found this site
    You will find plenty of support here and information that may give you the options you are looking for.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • :D :D :D
    Where in the world is Tasmania? (LOL!) I've got to go look at my world globe!

Welcome to the forum -- lots of good information on this site for you to read up on. You'll find great support from fellow spineys here.

ps I'm in Orlando, Florida.
  • i hope that you get as much from this wonderful site as i do welcome claire
  • Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Well, time for an update -

In my effort to avoid surgery I have over the past 8 weeks done the following:

Weekly massage with a qualified remedial masseuse - concentrating on the muscles of my lower back and my big fat gluteus maximus, also hamstrings.
    Daily stretch/exercises from the Robin McKenzie book.
    Daily MSM/Glucosamine/Chrondotin
    Bought a Thermoskin back belt to wear in the morning when I was particularly stiff and slow moving or to wear if I was working outside.
    Redesigned my posture in accordance with the info in the Mckenzie book.

I go back to the surgeon on the 7th and will happily advise him that he can redirect his resources to someone more in need. I feel terrific - have zero pain in my back and the nerve tingles in my foot and lower leg have largely disappeared - if I notice them it is a flag to me to do a set of the exercises/stretches.

Of all the above I think the massage has helped the most - the muscles in my lower back (and even up to my shoulders) had become so tight trying to protect my back that they were contributing to the problem - masseuse explained to me that the sciatic nerve can also be impeded by tight muscles as it moves through large muscles to your leg. The first visit I was so tight she said it was like massaging bricks - the improvement over time has been great and has given me back a lot of mobility. Last night I spent the evening pushing big round bales of hay around - no ill effects this morning!!

Obviously this may not be helpful to those of you with severe damage - but certainly the massage is worth a try - if nothing else an hour relaxing has got to be good for you!

I'm over the moon at the moment - although I still recognise that I could have a big setback with a wrong move. But surgery is not on my horizon at the moment - YAY!!

• That is great news! I hope that your pain relief ends up being permanent and you don't ever even need to think about surgery again.

Good luck and please check in once in awhile and let us know how you are doing.