Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Injections need information Help please.

Diamond123DDiamond123 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have Cervical DDD.My main issue is realy bad neck pain and radiating pain full headaches.After seeing a neurosurgeon he told me my pain is most likely coming from my c3-c4 disk.He wanted to do fusion surgery but I am not ready to have it done yet untill i have exhausted all other options.He told me i may get some relief from the pain from Injections.I set them up with my pain mangment Doctor and had very little time to ask him any question's before the first injection but one thing i found odd is he told me that he was doing the injection at the c-7 level beacuse it was safer and that the medication would work its way up to the c3-c4 problem area.Well it has been 5 days now and no relief?Anyone else had there doctor do the Injections at a different leavle than where the pain is coming from?I just thought I would get the Injection directley at the sorce of the pain? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

• I don't normally respond to cervical issues as my problems are all at the lumbar level. But I wanted to welcome you to the board and say that others will be along soon who can answer your question.

I have had caudal injections where the steroid is injected at the sacral notch at the base of the spine and it then bathes all the lower lumbar nerve roots.

I imagine this works on the same idea. The medicine is not injected into a self-contained area like a muscle, so it does travel and can dissipate quickly as a result. Sometimes it can take a week before a patient has any result...so don't totally give up. Sometimes they just do not work...sometimes it takes a second or even a third injection before any positive result is noticed.
  • Welcome to our site, I have have been through all the doctors and medical path due to neck pain including surgery on C4-7, I am currently dealing with new neck pain for the past six months with more doctors, pills, shots and epidural. My experience is I had to listen and do each step trying to find what is wrong and what they can do to give me relief from pain.
    They told me the shots for me could take a few days to a few weeks before I would feel any improvement. In my case it did not work, which is not uncommon. Don't give up there are lots of us who have found a solution in time. What I like most about this site is we give our experiences and not opinions or medical advice, we are not doctors and no two necks are the same.
    I hope you fine your solution.
  • Thanks for the replies I was just hopeing so bad that these injections would work.I think my wife is going to divorce me if she has to hear about my pain anymore.Maybe i will get lucky and the next injection will work better i get it in about 2 weeks. Thanks any more info will be appreciated.
  • I also have had epidural injections. They are usually done in groups of three's spaced a few weeks apart. My injections were in the area of my pain. The first one took almost two weeks before I felt any relief. The second injection has almost cured the pain in my left shoulder and arm but unfortunately, the pain has now moved to the right. I have other issues along with this, like trembling and difficulty walking and fine motor skills. I am scheduled for another fusion (yes another) on October 23rd. My first fusion was ten years ago and it completely relieved my pain. I was a happy camper for ten years and then....

I would advise you to stick with the epidural injections or at least finish with all three. Give them a chance to work and if not, I am a firm believer in cervical fusion because of the outcome of the first one. Don't get me wrong, I am terrified of this upcoming surgery but I truly believe it is the only way to get my life back. Good luck.

• Thanks for the replies.I am so afraid of the fusion surgery beacuse i am only 34 years old and i don't want to have surgery every 10 years.But if nothing else works I will have to get it done. I need my life back!
  • Welcome to the sight, you'll find tons of information here to help you. What exactly is the problem with your disc? What kind of injection did he give you? There are a few different types. If you type in cervical injections in the search box, it will bring up posts, and articles from the main sight that might give you some more information. Hope you find the answers you are looking for, as well as th relief.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I had 2 and they actually made me feel worse instead of better. They tried to talk me into having one more and I would have nothing to do with it, especially at $1600.00 a piece and blowing 2 vacation days. Please don't think my experience is everyone elses. These shots do work for some people who get long lasting pain relief. Good luck if you decide to go that route. It's definitely worth trying before surgery.
  • I had them once before having fusion. I wish I had not given up so quickly. My doctor could not get through the metal but the surgeon had him go in far below and it actually made a difference. Hardly a silver bullet, but actual noticable help. I would try again before any surgery.
    Good luck.
  • Had ACDF C5-7 two years ago. After one year of pain in the back of the neck following surgery, I went to a pain clinic. They said I had facet syndrome. (and DDD) I had a cervical block and kept a pain diary for 5 days. They concluded it worked so I then went in for a Cervical Nerve abblation. (It gave me a year of pain relief, however, I will warn you-with tons of Morphine, it still hurts like heck.) After the procedure, it gets worse for a few days and then pain relief! I am scheduled for another one on Oct 26th. Steroid injections were helpful for me for shoulder/muscle spasms. I also use a TENS unit and that works very well for the muscle spasms too. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • Almost 2 weeks sence first injection with no notisable relife.I belive i got a Cortizone Steroid injection.I have the second ont sechuled for this thursday.I am going to do it but not to optimistic I am so frustrated with the lack of information I got from my doctors.Unlike most threads I have read I don't have any pain in my arms or hands my problem is very tense muscles in my neck that cause intense headaches.I don't even know if I am getting the correct kind of injections.I didn't know there were different types.My headaches are daily and i take mucle relaxers and percocet like candy just to get to the next day.I Sal a NS a few weeks ago and he told me i need fusion surgery on my c3-c4 but never realy explained how the fusion is going to fix the headaches I am so afraid oh having the surgery and not fixing the problem.I am only 34 and have a 2 year old Son witch i stay home with beacuse the headaches are so bad i had to quit my job and i cant imagine not being to Carry him around and picking him up after surgery so I was praying the injections could buy me some time if the second shot doesn't work I don't know what to do.Thanks for all the responses this board helps.