Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone taken Opana ER???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect from a patients perspective.I was just placeed on it but theyre increasing the dose on me.Most of my experience was with percocets and oxycotin but im not sure if this stuff is considered to be stronger than those or not...please inform me!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    medications. I was on different doses (40mg down to 10mg) and using Oxycodone IR and Opana (plain) for breakthrough medication.
    I was on Oxycontin ER for over two years, finally getting down to 0...... Then just used the Oxycodone IR
    for breakthrough.
    About 9 months ago, I had some major flareups and I started in using Opana ER and Opana Regular.
    Personally, I have found that Opana works better for me than Oxycontin did.
    BUT, there are many here that might disagree with this. There are some studies on how fast one gets released into the system and for how long it stays.

I may feel that Opana was better for me, because when I was using Oxycontin, my pain levels were staying pretty high all the time. When I started with Opana, my pain levels were at the midrange
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for the insight bro. Im on my 3rd fusion and it did no good so im stuck with long term meds or quite possibly a pain pump so we'll see...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    but you look young, so for now the last thing I would be thinking is a pain pump, morphine implant, etc
    There are so many effective medications that can control situations
    But always remember, pain medication by itself will NOT take care of everything.
    From what I have endured and learned over these years is that we all need the The Blend that can helps us through so many rough times
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I again appreciate that...Im with a new PM so im in the beginning of adjusting meds and quite possibly doing a SCS but being in VA you have alot of hoops to jump through.Im only 32 and from the docs who have treated me Im usually told im the youngest person they've seen with my problems and surgical history...
  • I tried the Opana ER 10 mg bid once and it didn't do anything more than tylenol, but I think I was way underdosed. Remember different people react to pain meds differently, so what works great for some doesn't work for others.
  • They are about to kick me up to 20mg but its an adjustment.I wonder if oxycotin would work better? Its a journey...
  • I've Had really good luck with Opana. From other posts, I've noticed that its really split as far as Oxycodonde(OxyContin) and Oxymorphone(Opana). Alot of people seem to feel nothing from opana.

I have alot of side effects from oxycodone. That I dont get with Opana. I get more pain relief with Opana.
  • I believe opana works better for me to I just have to go get my 20mg script on Mon. and hopefully I wont have to go up in dosage for awhile...
  • I've been on Opana ER since last February, it took me a couple months to adjust my dose, I take 30mg ER twice a day. I also take the Opana IR 10mg. I am very happy with the drug because I feel it doesn't have most of the side effects other narcotics have. My PM doctor likes it a lot too. She says it has really separated the drug seekers from the non drug seekers. In Texas it is hard to find, and took like 4 months for my pharmacy to order the dosage I take, and it's expensive.
  • I haven't tried Opana before but I have taken Oxycontin and thought it worked pretty well and I had no side effects from it. I understand how you feel about possibly being on pain meds forever and if it's the case, look at it like a diabetic needing insulin for the rest of his life. It is one of several tools needed to function, that's all. I'm in my mid thirties and I'm facing having a pain pump implantation surgery for my chronic back and nerve pain. Age makes no difference when it comes to pain. Back problems can strike at any time for a variety of reasons and it makes no difference if you are young or old. Unfortunately young people are written off or simply not believed. Keep going and never take no for an answer, and I'm sure you'll find someone who will take the time to listen and hopefully diagnose the problem. Take care