Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just curious

Jaws650JJaws650 Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,
I had my L5-S1 fusion surgery on July 20th. So I'm 11 weeks post op. No real problems to speak of. I started pysical theropy the begining of Sept and have been talking to alot of other spine patients, and I have yet to find anyone else who shares the same details of my surgery. Ok so now my question. Has anyone else had their fusion surgery as an outpatient? I had mine done at an outpatient only surgery center. Got there at 6am and was home by 2pm. And it was a full fusion with hardware (rods and screws). So is this new or what?

• I was offered to go home the next day but preferred to stay two nights. I wouldn't feel comfortable without at least an overnight stay. Was that your doctor's idea or your insurance co's?
  • I know that I was the first that my Doc did as an outpatient. I know that because I was given a choice to have it done at a regular hospital or this outpatient surgery center. And when I got there They told me I was his first surgery there.

• Was it minimally invasive? Relatively small incision? I can't imagine going home any sooner than I did but I have heard of a few who have had minimally invasive surgery but I don't know how long they were in.
  • Jaws 650...So you had a fusion with a good outcome? I am due to have surgery in a week and am EXTREMLY nervous. My neurosurgeon is so confident that he can help with my pain. I was injured at work when a student ran into me knocking me to the ground, this was 2 1/2 yrs ago; I had a L5-S1 discectomy last year with the pain decreasing until the 9th week (3rd week of PT) it began to increase again and instead of the R. side leg pain it started to wrap around to the left; due to it being work comp related they did another MRI to supposedly find nothing and sent me on my way, I knew something was not right so we got an attorney involved...the judge rulled in our favor and medical care was once again instated, with another MRI finding more herniation in the same spot of the same disc...needless to say that is what led me to my neurosurgeon and he wants to preform a L5-S1 transforaminal lumbar interbody FUSION...I have had a hard time finding positive outcomes and to be honest I am frustrated and emotionally spent with this entire process of pain...etc
    Jaws605, how far out are you from your surgery date and how would you say your final outcome has been? any pain or side effects...
    I would appreciate any advise, comments etc especially hearing from some positive outcome patients... Oh and this will be done minimally invasive using sextant II by medtronics????Anyone...Please Help inform me
  • And , hakin all I can say is everyone is different. I'm 11 weeks out and only have some pain when I'm sitting, but the surgery cleared 80 to 90% of my presurgical pain. I have DDD that I have put up with for years. so I can't comment on just the herniations I'm glad I waited and was able to get the minimally invasive surgery. After having it done I wouldn't do it any other way. I walked out of the Surgery center and my take home instructions had me up and walking every 20min. I haven't seen others that had conventional surgery able to do that. I was in the same boat though , I didn't see many positive outcomes, thats why I keep popping in every now and then to say yes in some cases it does work. But you and your doc need to judge that. It is a major surgery and there is a long recovery even if it is minimally invasive. Hope that helps

• Thanks Jaws
    Do you mind me asking...what is DDD??
  • I personally would never want to have a fusion done and go home the same day. Yikes! Give me my PCA machine PLEASE ;) I had a 2 level TLIF on L4-S1 open back of course, I had too many problems to have it done minimally invasive style. I stayed 3 days in ICU and was in no rush to go home with all that post op pain.
  • Thanks Jaws
    Do you mind me asking...what is DDD??
    you said it was minimally invasive...do you know what system they used on you? what type of material they put inplace of your disc or boney material they used?
    Are you able to participate in life activities...I have 2 beautiful teenage daughters whom I need and want to keep up with...I've missed out on so much thus far and am desperate for relief...
  • Degenerative disc disease. simply put the disc dries out causing it to colapse, excessive movement, nerve impingement and heriations.The fusion surgery stabalizes the disc and corrects the disc height issue.
  • meydey
    how far out are you in recovery from your surgery? what if any side effects or lingering pain do you have?
  • He is saying I have some (not as bad as yours sounds) but some DDD and instability in my vertebras and thats why along with that we've already tryed other non surgical and surgical ways to resolve the continuation of herniation...