Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice Needed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Sleep Problems
My lower back makes it very, very hard to find a comfortable sleeping it position it night. I don't fall asleep quickly and it is hard to get back to sleep when I go to the bathroom during the night.

Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

• do you sleep on your back?
  • I sleep on my back and my side.
  • hi!!! i find getting cozy with my pillows all around me make it more comfortable when i have to get up and down... good luck catching some good sleep! Jenny
  • A pillow under your knees when lying on your back takes the stress off your lower back, and if on your side, a pillow between your knees helps keep your hips and spine aligned.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I know this sounds crazy, but i still have my big pregnancy pillow from when I was actually pregnant and I still use it at night to help me sleep. It really does help to relieve a bit of the pressure and pain from my back at night. I would recommend you maybe trying one, they are really helpful.
  • Hi Amy, :)

I had years of low back pain--tried different mattresses and sleeping positions. It wasn't until I got an air mattress that I was able to find comfortable sleeping positions. That may be something you could consider. Of course, it depends on your particular back injury, but that's what helped me get some decent sleep. There are long stretches where I have hip pain from my back problems and then I can't sleep on either side (and never on my stomach) but I can at least get comfortable on my back.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • the pillows are a great idea and i use an ipod shuffle--its reasonably priced ($40) and filled it with easy listening music-it had been very helpful and even used it after my fusion and lami's.
    good luck!! mugs
  • Get a few foam wedges,both different heights.
    Also a body pillow, works mine is about 3/12"-4" long anywhere from 16"-20" recomend goosedown.

You can ever have enough down pillows, always make sure you have at least 3 of those.
    Ask DR for sleepy meds.
    Good luck, it works for me...................... WHEN I ACTUALY SLEEP......GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!
  • My lower back makes it very, very hard to find a comfortable sleeping it position it night. I don't fall asleep quickly and it is hard to get back to sleep when I go to the bathroom during the night..[http://releasetechnique.com/stress management[/url]
  • I am a back sleeper too. I stuff 2 old pillows into one pillowcase and put in under my knees.

It really helps and it is CHEAP!
  • Hi - I have pain all the time and nights can be really difficult. Generally, I am up 5-8 times in a night, waking to pain and the need to get on my other side to hope to escape it for another 45-90 minutes of sleep. I can not turn in bed so have to hoist myself up and out with my arms then crawl back in an lower on the other side. There are some things that help me at different times.

Important to me, and sad, was having to give up my beloved featherbed that I had slept on for a long time. No plush mattress pad or tempurpedic for me, either. Both brought increased pain when getting up. However, this summer a friend brought me a double long sheepskin to sleep on and it made a big difference with pressure points from say one and the nights when I am troubled by them I remember how much worse they were before this. It is on the sheet and I sleep directly on it. It is washable. I have a shorter one that has gone with me in to car and when we traveled recently for a medical appointment. I can not imagine sleeping without.

I use a large bath towel instead of a pillow between my knees. It can be folded to whatever thickness is needed and I need one level when facing the outside of the bed and a thicker level when facing inner where there is some depression of the mattress toward center from my husband on the other side.

The iPod. I had a pain mmt release that did not help me - bought months ago. But last week found a track at the end called Sleep Hypnosis for Pain Management and tried it. Worked really well for me. Has put me back to sleep repeatedly this week... it's just under 15min and only 2x have I heard it all. Maybe something like that would be helpful for you.

Good luck.