Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Intestinal Pain w/ Chronic Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all,
I'm writing on behalf of my husband. He has a diagnosis of DDD, and a few other things I can't think of right off hand. He injured his back in the Marine Corps back in 1989, and it has progressively gotten worse.

He's been experiencing something awful lately. It starts as middle to low back pain, then progresses into his small intestine area (severe pain, bloating, burping up sulfur smelling gas), then he gets diarrhea, then nausea, vomiting, and experiences cold sweats (he'll be freezing cold in 80 degree weather and sweating buckets at the same time).
Does this happen to you? He spoke to a friend of his who has severe back problems too, and it turns out he has the exact same thing happen to him! He said the pain in the small intestinal area is so bad he wants to pass out! My hubby lays on the floor in the fetal position in excruciating pain!
Do you think this is really from his back pain? Can it radiate into the areas I described? It worries me because with each episode of this, the pain and symptoms get worse. He always gets nauseous, but it was this weekend's episode that he first threw up, and the whole nasty thing lasted a lot longer than usual.

• should get checked out by a doc. That does not sound at all normal to me. Please try and encourage him to go to a doc asap just in case it is something serious. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I've never heard of anything like this connected to spinal problems. Please have him see his doctor right away.
  • i do have pain in my pubic bone area especially in the morning .IE trying to get out of be bed the morning is now impossible without help from my wife ..despite having an electric bed .as soon as i am on my feet i need to pee and then the pubic bone pain goes {have been to docs and he could find nothing } he called it referred pain from back problem
  • to be checked out by a doctor and I would think pretty quickly. This doesn't sound right- but he needs medical attention for sure.

keep us posted!
  • We are not Dr's ,Your sweetie needs one!
  • Kristine,
    Does this happen in episodes or is it constant? I have chronic back pain and i have a constant pain in the lower left side of my abdomen all the time. i have had a colonoscopy, laparoscopy, CT scans blah blah and everything is within normal limits from what i'm told. the pain for me is in the front almost exactly equal to where my pain is in my back.(did that make sense? LOL)I have been told that the pain is referred pain from my back. The reason i ask about the frequency also is bc 5 times in the past 2 yrs i have been in the hospital with extreme nausea and vomiting. each time lasted btwn 4-6 days and i had to have a nasogastric tube put up my nose and into my stomach bc even the IV anti-nausea meds didn't work. they ran tests every time and couldn't find anything wrong. eventually, a gastroenterologist told me that it was probably slow gastric emptying most likely from my full array of pain meds. there is a test they can do to find out but i am only able to get it if i am hospitalized for a few days with IV pain meds bc i can't just stop taking my oral meds to do the fasting necessary to do the test and you can't have anything in your stomach for a certain amount or days or what not. just wanted to fill you in on my experience with it hoping you may find something useful in all my mumbo jumbo. if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
This discussion has been closed.