Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Emotional and mental status/insomnia after Anterior Cervical Discectomy w/Fusion C6-7

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Sleep Problems
:H just want to say hi to all, I just joined today. I had my surgery on 6/18/09 by a surgeon whom I have much respect. Ever since my surgery I have been experiencing increasing anxiety/depression/insomnia. Another factor is I am 40 and going through menopause. This could have something to do with my emotional roller coaster I am on. But i really don't know.

I have pain in the left side of my neck and it travels down the deep tissue areas, message therapist said my muscles were as tight as guitar strings. I also have pain in my left side of chest when I move a certain way, mostly when I am lying down, its excruciating. I have been suffering from headaches lately as well. Insomnia is no stranger to me. I take Ambien when I really cannot sleep.

I was wondering if anyone else with this kind of surgery is experiencing the emotional problems and sleep problems I exhibit? I also am aware of the whole pain<-->depression relationship.

• Are you still taking pain meds? Some do cause difficulty sleeping, anxiety, etc.

Also, what I'm picking up on from your post is that you say you are 40 and going through menopause? That is a very young age for that to happen. Have you shared this with your doctor?

Best wishes to you,