Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Avarage recovery times?

YankeeYankee Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have decided to go ahead and get the surgery the NS has recommended. As I stated in my first post on this forum I am not at this time having any what I would call debilitating symptoms just numbness and off and on pain in my right arm. I have so far stayed off the powerful pain and mussel relaxing pills the doctor gave me. I think he will be working on only 1 disk in my neck. My wife has a pre paid long cruise with a start date in the middle of February. I dont think she would have much fun with a husband in pain with a neck brace on a rocking ship deck. My question is this, If this surgery was preformed within the next 30 days without complications on a otherwise healthy person would this person be able to enjoy a ocean cruise without much trouble in February? Once agan thanks for your experanced opinions!
Here is the doctors findings from my scan. Its all Greek to me but someone here might know what they indicate. Axial images are obtained through the cervical spine at 2 mm intervals
with sagittal and coronal reformatted images.

There are degenerative changes at C5-6 with anterior and posterior
spurring. Prevertebral soft tissue swelling is not present.C6-C7- Negative.

C7-T1- Negative.

1. No acute traumatic abnormality of the cervical spine.
2. Congenital canal stenosis with superimposed degenerative changes
most significant at C5-C6 and C4-C5. Disk osteophyte complex and
uncovertebral spurring cause central and right foraminal narrowing
at these levels. When I went to the nero for him to review these findings he showed me the diferances between the nerves in the scan photos. and confermed they would cause problems on my right side.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

So, what surgery is your NS suggesting? An ACDF?

If all goes according to plan and you indeed have a 1-level fusion, I think you'd be able to go on a cruise in February.

But, of course, we all heal differently and only you will know in February whether you're up to the vacation. Have you asked your NS what s/he thinks?

Take care and good luck on your surgery. Be sure to keep us posted. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to vent to a fellow neckie.

• Did the NS tell you which procedure he's using. There are different types, like posterior & anterior, with or without plates & screws, etc. Different approaches, different recoveries. They told me that if I didn't get surgery soon that I may have permanent nerve damage. So, I had it done.
    05/09 Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy C6-7
    other C areas were looked at while in there & possibly cleaned up any in need - like a "roto-rooter" hmmmmmm
  • Hi Yankee,

In my opinion you will be fine going on that cruise in February. With my first surgery, and using my bone I was able to return to full work duty status on the 10 week mark. I did rather well till my fusion had issues. So since you are typically more relaxed on vacation, I would think you will really appreciate that cruise. Following surgery you may have some pain and think I will never make that cruise, don't let it get you down. Think of it as a reward and I am sure you will surprise yourself. Although, more than likely on the cruise you will still be recovering while the bone fuses so you may not be able to do every event like go rock climbing, but most certainly can enjoy the sights and scenes and some of the lighter activities. But most definite a question to ask your surgeon. Good luck on surgery.
  • But what happens if my wife wants to go bungee jumping in Jamaica? (JUST KIDDING!) Thanks for the information everyone! I will be seeing my NS next Thursday and I have a whole list of questions for him! As you may have read in my other posts my wife is a R.N. I will have her sit in front of the door in the exam room barring the NS from leaving until all my questions are answered!. I will let ya all know the outcome and date!