Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

another update!

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
The last time i had posted i was doing accupuncture for the pain and tight muscles in my back.Since then i had exhausted my benefits for it and have stopped accupuncture.It didn't really seem to do anything for me this time round and caused quite a bit of pain while it was being done.I decided that the benefits of it this time just weren't there.I'm doing massages every week still since i started the accupuncture so its been about two months now that i've been going weekly,we've changed the type of the massage and am seeing a bit of improvement in certain areas.Still not feeling great but i will take what i can get at this point.LOL :D My physical therapy is still continuing,only my insurance has frozen my therapist request for an extension until she speaks to him.She wants another update on how things are going with me.My therapist still has me coming in for therapy though,hopefully she will get her update and then approve the extension or he'll have to eat the cost of my therapy to date which i wouldn't want to see happen because he's done everything possible for me that he can.I haven't been back to see my doctor again since i was told that she wouldn't do the mri on my thoracic area and am still having alot of pain in that area and going between my ribs in the front,also i'm having pain in my shoulders and referral pain into my arms,waking up in the mornings sometimes with numbness in my arms and hands.My therapist believes that i'm getting tendonitis in my elbows as a results of the overly tight muscles.My lower back and hips are still very tender and stiff and the stiffness goes down my legs into my feet.For such a small accident it caused quite a bit of problems for me. And last but certainly not least ,my bladder is spasming again.Yes i'm peeing every 15min. or so .Went to the clinic and there running cultures on it again.The doc. said he's not sure if i have another infection but put me on antibiotics anyways.Same thing as last time.I don't know if they'll ever figure out whats causing that problem it seems to have been going on for quite a long time now.It gets a bit better and then worse just seems like it goes into spasms.I guess it makes sense though if my muscles are spasming that my organs maybe as well.

• I have heard some good and some bad on accupucture. It is interesting to me that you are not receiving any benefits from it. They are pushing it on me...is there a general rule of thumb in regards how long you have to go to see if it is benefical or not?

• I have done accupuncture before,i did it after my surgery because i wanted to get off my pain meds. and try and get rid of the last bit of pain that i was having.I had good results then,got off my medications completely and was feeling pretty good.I just had some muscle pain from all the exercising i was doing to strengthen my muscles back up so i figured i'd try it again. The first time i did it i found an increase in a better feeling everytime i went,but this time every session was just very painful and i would come out very achy and i wasn't feeling better by the time the next session came around. I have no idea why it didn't help this time maybe i didn't stay with it long enough but i just couldn't handle going through the aching anymore it was too intense for me.
  • I quit going to PT after 2 wks because I felt they accomplished what they could. The tens unit & ultrasound, followed by deep tissue massages. All that did UNLOCK the muscles on top of shoulder area. It was like a brick. They said muscles got that way from being in the protective mode, to guard the incision. Your bodys says "OUCH", that hurts" & you tense up.
    My back muscles are EXTREMELY tight too...
    My opinion would be that your body is telling you "NO more pain" & take it easy. If the therapy you're doing is for the tight muscles, you may just be overdoing it and not giving your muscles time to heal. I know how bad you want to hurry up the process, because I do too. I know the pain you are feeling. Has anyone told you how long this is going to go on? I am so tired of hearing "everyone heals differently". There has to be some similarities from patients recovering from this. I also don't know what a good attitiude has to do with healing the muscles yet.
    Do you use a heating pad. I have been for almost 6 mos. Seems to help calm the muscles. I don't know what I'd do without my heating pads. I keep one on my couch, bed, & here at my office. Thought I'd share that.
    Take Care & write back soon.....

• I am restarting PT next week, only went for 1 vist, but it was really to much for me when I went. Since then I have been using heat, at least 2 times during the day and that is helping my shoulders and neck a lot. I am also still taking a muscle relaxer, usually 2 times a day, and that I think is helping too.

I hope your insurance company gives you the extention on your PT and that you start to feel some relief soon.

• The last time i talked to my doctor she told me that because i had major surgery and then the accident so soon afterwards it could be a few years before i feel good again. After the accident i asked the same question and was told anywhere from six months to a year. I don't think they have a clue as to how long i will be like this. Even though the therapy is showing slow progress i guess they think its doing what its supposed to and thats why they keep pushing it. I don't know of anything else right now thats helping me so i figure i gotta go with whats helping.
  • Ok, since you had a "double whammy" - surgery, then accident - you obviously will take a little longer for the muscles to heal. You were "down" two (2) times - so it makes since. Both incidents take 6mos-12mos, x's 2, meaning 12mo - 24mos. Poor thing. Gosh, I feel for you. I am like you, not wanting the pain meds. But I found when I would take a little at the 1st site of pain, that I would stop tensing up, thus comforting the muscles. I am so careful not to let these muscles LOCK up on me AGAIN! NO!
    The best thing for my muscle pain has been Zanaflex - given to me 4 mos post op - OH and don't forget the moist heating pad (Walmart $12). A big MUST! Promotes healing. PT helps too, but you should do it in moderation. Such as, rest a few days in between trmnts - not to upset those muscles into spasming..... when that happens, you are in for a longer recovery, over & over, like a setback. I read that on muscles. Since no one else can tell me.
    Take Care & I hope you can find comfort in this long recovery. Whatever it takes. You're almost there!
    Look back & see how far you have come!
    Hang in there!
  • I do therapy twice a week but the days are spread out.I go tuesdays and thursdays so i have a day in between.He has never given me days side by side.He told right from the beginning that what they do there needs your body needs time in between sessions to recover. Fridays i have my massage and then i have three days after that to recover before i have therapy again so it works out ok that i'm constantly resting between therapies.I have my assessment next tues. on my lower back and then will do the rest of my therapies for the whiplash after the assessment so it will be a long session,probably two hours.I think that the only other thing he can offer me is the mobilization for my back but he still needs to assess to see how bad it is.