Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion Surgery......What to do????

karebr1kkarebr1 Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 30 year OLD women....I live with chronic back pain, neck aches and stiffness, off and on numbness in my hands and feet, sleeping problems and lack of, and I am loaded on numerous nerve, pain and sleep medications. I am looking forward to having kids (sooner the better) and I have been seen by many different doctors and I have had many different opinions and I want to know what to do next? I was told to wait for surgery, and now I am being told to have it done right away. So my questions are; has anyone who has had fusion surgery, (L-5 S-1) and what would you recommend if I want children soon and want to get off the meds? Should I pursue the surgery now or should I wait? I would like to hear if anyone has had the fusion surgery and then had kids after with no problem, or if they did what type of problems did they experience? I was told I am not a candidate for disc-replacement surgery which I am highly disappointed about. If there is another option besides fusion or replacement I am very interested and I would love know and to hear about them?? Thank you for your time in reading my long post with lots on questions.
Thank you! :?

• I am sorry to hear that you are facing this surgery, I am not a woman so your question will probably not be answered in full by me,I had L5S1 fusion back in dec of 2008 and i am worse now than i was before. I was not a candidate for disc replacement either, I had arthrites all over the backside of my spine, I had to have help doing just about everything except going to the bathroom for about 4 months, It was at least 6 months before the doctor would even discuss physical therapy, Once I started the therapy and continued walking I thought I was doing really well. Just remember to walk as much as you can. The physical therapist said that I was ahead of the game as far as my range of motion and the physical activities I was able to perform. But when the doctor decided it was time to decrease my pain meds everything fell apart,After the surgery I was taking percocet then I went to hydrocodone everything was doing O.K., then the doctor decided to take me down to darvocet, and I was in constant pain from then on out, and while you are in pain like that your physical activity slows down then your healing slows down,I told my doctor about the pain issues I had and he put me on Lyrica along with the Darvocet, It helped some but not enough. I am going to have him refer me to a pain clinic so I can get some relief. It is really so hard to try and give advise when everyone is so different, If I were a woman wanting to have kids I would try to do it before the surgery because if you wait until after the surgery and try then your going to have to do it without pain meds. I could be way off base, there is a possibility that you could have the surgery and it be a total success and having said that, the doctors say that after 6 months they like for patients to be off pain meds, so hopefully yours will be a total success. My prayers go out to you and your family.
  • I just answered the same question in AlanaWilson's post regarding pregnancy after fusion.

Any questions you can PM me.
  • Thank you for your responses and your thoughtfulness, I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and/or respond to my post.
  • I am 39, mother of two boys ages 10 and 12. My back pain started while I was pregnant with my youngest, totally herniated 2 discs in my 6th month of pregnancy. There was so little they could do, i was able to have a couple of epidural steroid injections and was allowed to take vicoden sparingly throughout the rest of my pregnancy. Then having a newborn and a 2 year old on top of all of this and still having these herniated discs was hell!!!!! Everything in my back got worse over the next 9 years to where i ended up having a 360 alif fusion l-5/s-1 seven weeks ago after nothing else worked.. I am still recovering. To answer your question, i just don't know. If you have a baby now while in pain and having to wean off most of your meds, how will you make it through the pregnancy, and having to carry a newborn around for months after. I did that and it was awful. But your only other alternative it to wait till after the surgery
    and then the recovery process is soooo long and painful. Figure at least a year and a half before you could even think about getting pregnant. I wish you well in whatever you decide, I can't imagine having to make this kind of decision. Keep us posted.
    I will think good thoughts and send lots of prayers!
  • Google "accurascope". It may be a better option.

• Thanks for the advice. I did Google that and it looks like something to look into. I have already e-mailed them for more information. Thanks to everyone for all of your help and advice.
    THANK YOU!!!!!