Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My 360 fusion story!~

hope4leohhope4leo Posts: 200
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On 9/15/09 I checked in at 8a and was on my way at 10A- what was to be a 5 hour surgery ended up being a 7 hour one instead. I woke with no pain, as my pain was controlled very well. I had STELLAR care from my nurses. Their main focus was make sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed. I just can't say enought GREAT things about those nurses. I was up and walking the hall Wednesday morning with assistance. I came out of surgery with a NG tube to drain my tummy, that tube was removed on Wednesday evening and it felt like they were pull barbed wire out of my nose- HOLY MOTHER I wanted to cry. By Wednesday night my hymoglobin had dropped to a 6 so I had a blood transfusion not losing blood from anywhere- my body just isn't producing new blood for whatever reason. I was discharged on Friday - here we go! I began to start swelling in the hospital and it just continued each day. By Monday I still had not had a bowel movement and urinating was becoming difficult. I was holding an additional 20 lbs of fluid- so Kindey failure was a major concern, I was sent to the ER - I was just so impacted but my kidney fuction was good- and my blood levels were 8.1 down from 8.6 upon discharge. I was sent home with a SUPER DUPER laxitive and finally good relief when things finally started to move along so to speak....but the swelling continued and I wake up 5-6 times through out the night to pee. My pain levels are controlled with Oxy 20, oxy 10, percocet, soma, and cymbalta. I would say day 8 was really bad but I slept it off and was feeling much better when I woke up. I was up and doing so much walking but I am easily exhusted. on day 17 post op- I was back to the ER with my left leg swollen and my foot was so big that is cracked and started to bleed. They did an ultrasound on my leg but found no blood clot. Therefore I was sent home and was told to follow up with my PCP if it didn't get better and if got worse to come ( my thought- WHY, what are you going to do different for me then you have this time????) GRRRRRR By day 21 I am STILL swollen from the belly to my toes - left side being worse- I have leg pain, hip pain, groin pain, and back pain. At this point I cannot wear shoes other then flip flops and I can't not wear jeans. I am swollen in the morning but then it just becomes worse as the day goes on. So on day 21 I go back to my PCP- who still believes that is a kidney issue. I am awaiting my referral to go through Tricare so I can go to a kidney specialist. After talking to my NS, she wants to see me first thing this morning. She has some concerns as to what is going on. I will update once I get home today. I am also being sent to a hymotoloist too regarding my blood issues. Please note that my blood issues are NOT a result of the surgery.

To say this has been a sucess- its too early to give a honsest answer! The pain is different from before- I don't regret having this fusion done. I believe it was done in my best interest. I am realistic regarding my recovery. I am making wise choices and I know that my back will NEVER be a God intended it to be. There may be things I will never get to do again, but I will embrace it and find new things and hobbies that I can do. I will make the best of this, move forward one day at time and I will be good to myself.

Sorry for the LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGG winded post- so many ppl just want to know they aren't alone. At this site we lift each other up and offer support and advise- all for I am truly greatful!

May your day be blessed, may your day be happy, and may your day be full of greatness!~


Sign In or Register to comment.