Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Radiculopathy Right foot

HighwaymanHHighwayman Posts: 47
I have had right foot issues since before my first surgery in Sept 07. Himilaminectomy at L5-S1 RT side. At first it was just numbness of the outside of the foot including the two outside toes. About three months after surgery the right heel started tingling and numbness then pain. Oct 08 NS did a PLIF L5-S1. Back pain went from nine to three. The foot started to feel better. I went back to work after eight weeks. I was walking two miles a day at this point in the mornings and laying down most other times. After one week of work I could not walk after I got home due to heel pain/numbness/ tingling. NS did another MRI and CT scan. He said that the nerve roots were clear. Had an EMG done that showed some delayed signals but no pinching? Had a Podiatrist examine the foot. X-rays clear and not plantar fascia. My Chiro has tried many different adjustments to no avail. After work I must lay down with the foot propped up not touching anything to start getting relief.
I wear good boots but am on concrete eight hours a day. Orthotics did not help.
I have tried using Lidoderm Patches on foot, no help. I take 1800mg of Neurontin a day, sometimes more but question relief. Lyrica did not help. MS contin does help but some days a hatchet is the only relief I can think of. lol
The PM Doc says the nerves most likely permanently damaged. How and why he would not say.
So has/is anyone dealing with this. Any other ideas or something I have missed. Also the right SI is very tender and sitting more than 15 minutes is difficult.
This is more than frustrating. I am one year out of fusion and in almost as much pain as before. Excuse my rambling as I write a bit at a time during breaks at work.

One Day at a Time, sometimes one step

• I had some L5-S1 disc problems but have DDD now but still have symptoms in my lateral shin and foot with numbness and tingling and pain. I take cymbalta which seems to work better than lyrica did. My PM Dr told my Primary that would help better and she ordered it for me. I hope you find less pain soon. Take care, Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I wish I had some encouraging news for you, and hey, it still could happen, but in my case it did not. I had a laminectomy and fusion at L5 S1. Prior to surgery I had no foot pain but afterwarrds I had pain in my right foot. It is along the inside arch and the big toe, also across the top of foot consistent with both L5 and L4 pain. Yours sounds like textbook L5 pain and its either going to get better or not though at one year out, the answer is it probably won't. It still could, however, so I sure wouldn't start looking for other solutions at this point though the more time that passes, the less likely things are to get better. If, after 2 years, your foot still hurts, you'll probably want to look into a spinal cord stimulator. I know this isn't the news you were looking for and I could be completely full of it since I'm not a physician but I'm passing on what I have learned over the course of my spinal problem. For me, an unhappy answer would be better than a question. Stick around, you'll find all kinds of support here. Susan.
  • I had a fusion at L4-5 19 months ago. I can stand or walk on a concrete floor for about five minutes before pain begins. If I continue on beyond that time, my back goes into spasms, which is something that it never does otherwise.

Your problem could be a result of the surgery itself or it could be that the nerve was compressed long enough prior to surgery that permanent damage is the result. I would not give up yet. As Susan said, it is commonly held that if the symptoms are still there at the two year mark, it probably is permanent...but that is not always the case. Nerves can continue to regenerate, although it is not the norm.

I am sorry you are having these results. I know how disappointing it is.

• Hi All,
    My PM Doc sent home a DVD for the Boston scientific SCS. I watched it and read lots of posts about it including yours. I am going to wait at least another six months before considering going with the SCS. The Doc said just throw it away if not interested.
    In the morning my foot hurts from the ball back. Especially the small area in the center just in back of the ball. By afternoon the heel pain overrides it all. Sometimes I roll a frozen coke bottle with my foot to try and deaden it. Ultra sound did not help. My Chiro used Graston tools to break up the tendons in my foot. The tendons felt crunchy at first but after four or five visits they were free. The Chiro was hoping for pain improvement by this but no joy.
    I just keep asking all the Docs questions and researching but I am running out of options. I have not lost hope because my hope is in Him above.
  • I too have some buttock pain and right leg numbness for 2 years after my 2nd micro for L5-S1. I don't have the heel pain you mention. I get bad cramps in my right calf and my leg seems to just lock up. My 3 little toes and the bottom and my heel have that numbing feeling. I do strecthing every other day and walk 3 miles on Sunday. Sitting for long times are brutal. I take tylenol and aleve. The doctors told me the numness would go away, but it never did. I do not have any suggestions for you. Sorry.