Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Caudal vs. Bilateral Facet Injections?

christiecchristie Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi. I've had chronic low back pain for over 5 years. Have tried PT, chiro, massage, pain meds and a caudal. Did caudal with no sedation and was in so much pain they couldn't even inject half the medicine they had planned on.

Then I got a different pain doc who gave me bilateral facet injections w/iv sedation. I felt no pain during the injections and just a little sight soreness afterwards. I think these helped but then I re-injured my back.

Now have new insurance and they want me to have the bfi again but won't give me iv sedation (due to time constraints). I'm scared to death to do this b/c of my last experience w/o iv sedation.

Does anyone here have experience with either of these procedures? Were they painful for you? Were they helpful?

Thanks for reading/responding!

• On Aug. 6 I had bilateral ESI and bilateral FJIs done at the same time with no sedation at L4/5. I felt no pain at all during the procedure. I had severe back leg pain afterwards, but I think that was from the ESI. That pain went away the next day.

Both of them worked for a while (5 weeks), but the FJI has worn off so I'm scheduled for a medial branch nerve block next week.

Good luck.
  • I've had both with and without sedation. What level are they injecting?

Cath ~ I wonder what accounts for you feeling no pain? I think that is quite remarkable!
  • I don't know why I didn't feel any pain. I had asked for sedation, but they kept forgetting that I'd asked for it. So when they wheeled me into the room and began, I asked if I was going to get some sedation. The nurse didn't know that I had asked, so she immediately put something in my IV. I felt nothing at all with regards to what she put in my IV. I was completely aware the whole time. Maybe there was some sedation and I just didn't know it, but I don't think so.

• I had no sedation except for an anxiety pill I usually take at night to relax me. They numb the area before the injections. I've had 3 sets of 8 FJI's and at the same time a caudal ESI. I would rather of had a RFA instead of continued injections as they're uncomfortable. I also took a break thorough med one hour before. I choose now to go to a hospital Pain Management Center so I can get the works unlike what a PM clinic provides. I had some more movement of my back after the injections. Ice after. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Just to clarify -- I bet they put something into the IV. I switched PMs a couple months ago. The new guy does not believe in sedation (from what I can tell). I never have an IV line run. He just begins to numb the area as he starts to put the needle in. He works his way to the depth he wants, numbing as he goes. When he is at the right spot, then he begins the injection procedure.

I have now had four procedures with him, a couple nerve blocks and two transforaminal ESIs, all at different levels, and I can assure you I felt each and every one of them. There is a great feeling of pressure as the medication goes in. This past one was the worst. It felt like a bolt of lightning flashing from my back, down, and straight out my big toe. It was quite a thrill!

I have also had ESIs with two other doctors who used twilight sedation which was administered in an IV line.
  • Hi Christie,

They never give any form of sedation whatsoever in my part of the World (Wales, UK)! I actually asked for it for the first ones (nerve root blocks) and they politely refused on the grounds that I 'didn't want to be in hospital any longer than necessary'! Frankly I was quite happy to stay there longer and have sedation, because like you, I was petrified! Needless to say they didn't hurt at all.

A few weeks later I had facet jt injections and didn't ask for sedation. None was offered either. I have to say (not to frighten you), but they were rather more painful than the nerve root block injections, but not to the point where I wouldn't have them done again.

In summary, don't worry - you'll be fine.

Bye, Val

PS Probably not the right place to say this, but many congratulation to all citizens of the USA on President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize.
This discussion has been closed.