Just wondering if anyone has similar experiences.
26 yo male
5'-7" 160 lbs.
About 3 months ago I fell asleep holding my new daughter. My head was straight down.....for 3 hours. Needless to say I woke up in agony. The pain persisted for about a week before I called the doctor. Pain included... severe headache, burning pain in shoulders, neck, upper triceps. The pain would jump back and forth to each arm. Doctor saw me and prescribed the 5-day Medrol pack and MRI for suspecting problem C5 disc. He also noted decreased muscle reaction in left bicep.
Left paracentral C5/6 HNP with mild cord impingment. Cervical straightening. Uncinate hypertrophy with mild foraminal stenosis from C3/4 through C5/6.
Dr. immediately setup consultation with neurosurgeon and I immediately called a chiropractor. Don't worry!! The chiropractor I called specializes in disc herniation therapy and does not manipulate my neck.
I have been seeing the chirpractor for about 1.5 months. 3 times a week for the first 2 weeks, 2 times/week for 1 week, not 1 time/week for a little over a month. He has focused on my posture. I'm an engineer and sit a computer 80% of the day... the other 20% is looking down at drawings. I ordered an angled desktop and I am extremely conscience of my posture.
After the medrol pack the pain went away, but I started getting neck and shoulder tension and pulled muscles. The chiro performs deep tissue to relieve the tension as well as ultrasound and electric pulse stimulation. He also has me doing chin tuck exercises and traction 2/day. Lots of icing and just starting to get into heat therapy. I also did one session of acupuncture which I think helped (may do another). I feel like I'm at 80-85% recovery.... I take no medication except for advil maybe 1-2 week if I get a severe headache. At times my neck does feel weak or slightly unstable, but I am pretty conscience to not move certain ways...
I feel like I am making great progress.... I finally met with neurosurgeon last week and he performed tests and confirmed all muscle sensation/response was normal. He told me to be careful, but to continue doing what I am doing. His only concern was my age and the fact that the disc may rupture again due to my age.
Has anyone else had similar results from treatment? I guess I'm wondering how long I should expect to be treated ...6months? 12months?