Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long do I got? (Before possible permanent weakness)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Thought I'd ask this here.. seems an appropriate forum...

30 days ago now I herniated a disc.. L4/L5... now the pain is "mostly" subsided.. but I have to walk slow and careful due to a fair amount of muscle weakness in my left leg.

I cannot lift my foot.. and cannot stand on my tippy toes with that leg.. and pretty numb on the left side all the way to my toes.

My Question:

I have a surgeon appt in 21 days.

That mean 51 days TOTAL. Am I safe from permanent nerve damage? Or is it too late already?

So darn hard finding answers... and surgeon was 5 weeks out when i made the appt. Doing PT currently.

• My symptoms - normally subside, to a point where surgery is not considered.

If you are maintaining control of urine and bowels, they normally do not rush this. It does become that when those 2 issues are involved

My problems are at L3-L4 and L4-L5, Cervical as well, but less so. If it just pain, and subsiding, they are more likely to be very conservative in their approach. Foot drop, normally stops at some point afterwards.

• I had surgery (microdiscectomy) and was told that typically the dr's will try conservative treatment for about 3 months and if no response, they want to take action in 4. The studies claim permanent damage is somewhere between month 4 and 10.

That being said, I am 7 weeks post op and still have weakness and numbness but I had some nerve damage so they told me it will take time for the nerve to wake back up.