Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

car accident

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Was in a MVA today - was hit head on as I turned left when the light turned yellow....my car you can't drive....I am okay, but very, very sore. Do I seek out if the herniation is made worse? Or wait and see how I feel. I have taken my meds - but it hurts as if I have taken nothing.

Oh man, can't win to lose!

• I would go to the hospital immediately to get checked out. Even a healthy person, with no spinal issues should after an accident like that!! I hope that you are okay, you must be shaken up on top of the pain.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • get to the docs asap!!!! please
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I agree with the above but you should go to the er and be checked out. You really shouldn't wait.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Patti

Sorry to hear you have been in a car accident. Yes I agree you need to go and be checked out

Take care

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • OH MY GOSH! Glad you weren't seriously injured. Cars can be replaced...

GO DIRECTLY TO THE E/R and be checked out. Or you can contact your treating doctor to let him know; ask what he thinks you should do... either way - GET CHECKED SOON.

PLEASE seek advice from a personal injury attorney before deciding to settle with the "at fault" driver's insurance company.

Hopefully this has not made any of your spine issues worse.

I made that mistake when I was rear-ended. I had just had the nerve burned and had been feeling well. Then BAM! an inattentive driver slammed into a car that was slowing down to stop for the red light (at which I was already stopped) and they all hit me. I felt fine right after the accident, refused medical attention, insisted they hurry up with my statement because I had to get to work and standing around waiting was wasting valuable production time! By the time I got to work (about an hour later) I was beginning to feel a little bit sore; by the next day I felt... well, like I had been in an accident!

My PM was leery about saying the accident made things worse for me (spine wise), because I had problems before the accident and all. Even though I had been on what I felt to be an upswing....

Since my PM didn't want to say it was all accident related, I settled with the at fault driver's insurance. Because I was working less than 30 hours a week at the time of the accident, I really couldn't say I had any loss wages, only my rear bumper and medical bills... Because of the accident, I had to start with a new cycle of ESIs... My PMs clinic got half, and I got the other half - which was not much.

THEN.... all hell broke loose in a matter of months. I got worse and worse and ended up with the surgery I just mentioned.

Don't do like I did; be sure nothing has been made worse by this accident before you settle. This is your life, here and I just want to be sure you are comfortable physically. You have a full calendar year before you have to decide what to do. My advice is to take that year and make the best decision for you.

(I don't work for a personal injury attorney, by the way....)

Good luck hon. I hope you ARE okay and all. Just let the medical professionals make that call on you.

• I'm sorry to hear you were injured. I hope you're getting checked out by ER now. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Definitely get to the Er or your own doctors and get as many tests as you can.Hopefully your neck hasn't been made worse.I know exactly how you feel,its been a year now since my accident and i'm still having pain from it.
  • The accident was sited against me - i was in the waiting my turn in the center of the intersection to make a left, when the light turned yellow - the on coming car was far enough away - and I assumed that he would have to stop. He didn't stop so as I made the turn - I didn't get too far, and he hit my front end (driver side grill) with his driver side front. He had an suv with a trailer and a boat. I assume now he was unable to stop, or swerve due to his trailer. This road is a 45 mile. Since I was the one turning it was charged to me. It is not illegal to enter an intersection under yellow - and my responsiblity to make certain all traffic is clear before I turn....you learn something new every day.

I do not feel any extra numbness, and that is what I have used as my yard stick. I am still very sore...so i have contacted my doctor to see if my appt scheduled for the 27th could be moved up due to this recent event. If I continue to be as sore as I am right now 3 days post the accident, I may go ahead and seek an er. I just had the mri done 2 weeks ago and it just seems like - i shouldn't be having another one or ct scan....again, pain is bad, but no numbness.

unfortunately this whole incident is on my insurance - thank goodness for insurance, but man I am getting exhausted from this year in general.

Had my Endocronolgy appt today, most likely he will kill my thyroid off, and then go on permenant thyroid medicine....and he is concerned that the Graves Disease may have also begun a eye disease, Now i have to go to the eye doctor to get this checked out! Better to know - at least this should all be wrapped up in the next 30 days with the Graves Disease and hyperthyroid issues.

thanks for everyones concern and comments, I hope I am making the right dicisions.

• was your mri scan done before or after the accident that you just had? Because if it was done before then its not going to be any good there going to want to do another one. You had trauma to your spine and whatever showed up on the mri before the accident may have changed due to the accident.I just went through this with my therapist because i showed him an mri that i had done a few years ago and he said that because of the accident there was a trauma everything in that mri could have been changed so its not really any good anymore.
  • Please please please get the doc to see you sooner than later! It doesn't matter who's fault it is, if you wait too long, then you will be on the losing end in more ways than one.
    I sure hope that you feel better soon. Sorry about the accident, but really glad you are as okay as you are.

• That's what insurance is for. Sorry you got cited, but oh well, shi* happens. In Oregon we are required to carry insurance which also covers our own medical bills. Please get checked out and new MRI's taken. Any little (and this didn't sound little) :''( fall or accident can cause big changes. Better safe than sorry. Hope you're feeling better. I've been awol for a few days, so just saw this post. Take care of yourself.
    >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • just put the kids on the bus - the doctor called yesterday and my silly cell phone didn't sound the ring - so i missed the call. I am calling his office this morning - but if i don't speak to anyone I am taking myself to the er to be checked out.

In early June I had a CT scan at the one hospital, so I am going to that one - this way there is a direct comparison of my neck.

Don't know why but I have felt worse yesterday and today then when the accident happened and the first few days?!

Thank you all for you encouragement. and will update you all after I get some new information.

thanks again - patti
  • I have an 8 am appt tomorrow with my Physico doctor. His assistant said - if any tests that would need to be run, he would order them.

will update tomorrow,
  • Here are the findings - he too looked at my mri - yes, there is a herniation, but still not remarkable enough for my pain. He has taken me off of Zanaflex and tramadol...added Celebrex and kept me on the Percocet.

He wants me to begin PT again now with the medication change.

Also, it was concerning to him since this weekend between the car accident and my whiplash at a park ride on Saturday, my reflexes are not all good. My left foot was unresponsive to one of his tests, brisk reflexes and some of the finger tests didn't go the way they used to. His theory is a Spinal Canal Contusion (sp).

I am to keep him updated to how I feel and if I have any more bladder problems like I did @ 3 weeks ago. And see him in 4 weeks.

Well, there you have it - I really have had a rough 3 days - and alot of sleeping problems, which I haven't had to deal with.

Any one else use Celebrex?

• I take Celebrex Patti and it's supposed to help with the inflammation though it may not start to feel like it's working right away. But sometimes it seems to help with the continuing pain. I hope you're feeling better to get some sleep. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I really feel for your situation.I too have whiplash from a car accident and some disc and stenosis problems.I'm also taking anti inflammatories,i've been put on three different ones since the accident,they just don't seem to do much for me for some reason.This last one that i'm on seems to help more then the others.Please keep us advised to your situation i'm really curious to know how you make out with your physio.
  • the doctor commented that my symptoms appear to be spondylisis (sp) of the cervical - though the mri doesn't show it clearly. I am not certain what that means...isn't that the spinal canal is narrowed? or maybe that is something else.

Anyways, now it is in the hands of the insurance company and my doctor - to see if he will agree to a generic or if the insurance will pay for the celebrex original.

we shall see tomorrow - so i keep doing what i have been doing until the meds can be changed.

• I think thats what your trying to say? Thats some arthritis,if your having narrowing that would be stenosis.The car accident can definitely cause arthritis in your spine.
  • I take Celebrex twice a day and for me it works fantastically and seems to be the one anti-inflam that my body responds to the best.

Why did he take you off the Zanaflex? Did he give you anything else for the muscle spasms?

Keep a good journal of all of this!

Hope you feel better soon.

• No - he has kept me on the percocet for pain, but nothing directly for the muscles. Is celebrex strictly an anti inflamatory - is there any pain relief portion to it?

I honestly cannot believe the pain that is coming on from any movement of my head. It zeros in and around between the shoulder blades - and pain from my jaw into my neck. I am still taking the tramadol, percocet until the pharmacy works out the details and I receive the celebrex....but the releif from the meds is a very small window and then I am down until the next dosage.

I don't know if this is typical if he is accurate regarding a spinal cord contusion. I will give the celebrex some time to do its thing after i receive it, but i hope that i don't have another week of this. I plan to call him if things don't improve.

• yea - i guess spondylsis is a fancy word for arthris of the neck!? That we certain have been aware of the dehydration of c56 disc, the multiple osteophytes and the bulge/herniation of c56. I guess at this point it comes down to this, in my case, has all this arthritis in my neck begun to narrow the canal...are the bone spurs pushing on something....

Unfortuately or fortunately for me - with my busisness i have a window of opportunity...dec thru feb to do anything drastic about my situation....barring any emergencies....so as we stand now - it looks like my 4th season of pain will begin in march....sorry i sound so doubtful the current plan is going to make much difference.

This will official be my 5th round of pt. I am using the same lady as last time....i wonder what she is going to say with my return. She was giving me nuersurgeon numbers before.....

• Patti my family is always getting hurt somehow. The PTs just laugh when we show up again. I'm a firm believer in rehab after broken bones and my kids sure love to break bones. Between hubby and myself we have had two shoulder surgeries and four knee surgeries. And lots of pre-surgery and post-surgery PT was involved in those.

A good therapist is hard to find. SOunds like you like yours. Good Luck this time. Never know 5th time might be a charm.
  • I'm sure that your physio should be able to handle the tight muscles from the whiplash.The pain though if it is coming from your spinal cord isn't going to be fixed by therapy. As far as i'm aware celebrex is strictly an anti inflammatory med. no pain med in it. If your pain meds. your on right now aren't helping maybe its possible that your having nerve pain and not muscle or soft tissue pain.Then you'd need a nerve pain med. like neurotin to help.I was in a lot of pain 24/7 with my neck before surgery,none of the narcotics helped at all i finally got to a good neurologist who told me that nerve pain doesn't usually respond to narcotics it doesn't matter how strong they are.My accident was a year ago next week and i still have some stiff muscles going up the sides of my neck into my jaw.Thank goodness the headaches have stopped.
  • That is what I thought regarding the celebrex - and i am still in a holding pattern waiting on the doc, the pharmacy and insurance.

I did try Neurotin last fall/winter - but the side effects I couldn't get past. It wasn't the best time to have tried, When my busiess (gardening) closes for the season, I work at our local Target overnight (stocking shelves) - and so the taking meds at bedtime, was not easy to follow.

I still taking both the tramadol and percocet - and i only get a small window of relief - I try to put the doses within a 2 hour frame of one another and then 5 hours between a repeat of them. Hopefully that makes sense. My days start at 545 am and ususally don't end until 11 or midnight. Small kids, a business and a home - like most of us - the days are long and need to stretch the meds so I am covered for the day.

I am really starting to get frustrated....I beleive the PT will be sad for me - I think she was hoping that the next time she saw me was after surgery...for rehap

thanks for your advise.

• Hi Tammy

YOu said the neuro told you nerve pain doesnt respond to narcotics. Do you include neurontin in that? I keep upping the neurontin and it isn't helping the pain that runs up the side of my neck and around my collar bone. The sinus and ear pain that I was getting is mostly gone so I guess it is helping that.

I'm so desperate to find an answer.