Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jerking movements increasing

sotiredssotired Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all,
I'm having a problem with jerking movements, especially noticeable at nice because they seem to increase. I also have them during the day while sitting.
My current meds include oxycodone 4x15mg, cymbalta 90mg, ultram ER 300mg, fentanyl patch 50mg and synthroid.
Anyone have this too? It is keeping me from getting a good nights sleep. I've mentioned it to my doc and he didn't discuss it.

• at night in my legs- its like the "jump" all by themselves- I forgot to bring this up to the NS on my f/up. If you find out anything PM- it scares my husband- because its out of nowhere and then he jump- its almost comical (his reaction)-

good luck
  • Happens to me as well.

Just a thought, Ask your Dr and go from there.

But here is something I have noticed over the years. I focus on what is something that is not usual and all of a sudden - it gets increasingly bothersome. I have programmed my mind to watch for this "THING" and so my body creates the "THING".

At times - fixating on what we is wrong with us, only perpetuates the problem, when in the normal scheme of things, there is much more that is right with us, than is wrong.

I too have what can only be called - "FULL BODY SHUDDERS" I convulse - head to toe. I know it is just my nervous system tossing out a big error in itself and resetting.

Hope you feel better, knowing other have it, Check with you Dr and if he states that it is nothing to worry about, go from there.
  • this happens to me too and I wish I had an answer for you. i am seeing my pm doc tomorrow and am going to talk to her about it. I take requip for restless leg syndrome but it isn't just my legs anymore, it's my whole body. I agree that it is worse at night, I don't know if that's just because we are relaxing(or trying to) and the muscles just can't settle down. My rheumy told me that it may be time to up my dosage of requip but that he wants me to have another sleep study done to see why it is not just my legs anymore. I had a sleep study done 2 years ago which is how I found out I had restless leg syndrome, so I have to schedule another one. It definitely does effect us getting a restful sleep because the way the sleep doc explained it to me is that it's like spending the whole night with 1 foot in the door (of sleep) and the other out. Because of these jerking movements, our bodies are never really totally at rest. I will follow up after my pm appt and sleep study. Lauren.
  • Sotired, you didn't specify exactly what types of jerking, more specifically which body parts and why you think it is happening. Just my dose of general info: nerve problems can result in spasms, twitches, and very odd, uncontrolled body movements. Antispasmodics and muscle relaxants can help greatly with this; ask your doctor!

Also, the pain we experience at times or sharply for a moment, can cause us to instinctively or subconsciously clench, jerk, or twitch our muscles as a sort of defense mechanism.

For example, if you have bouts of severe breakthrough pain, and tend to tighten up, maybe hold your breath for a moment, and say, tense your upper thigh (assuming sciatica/leg pain..), then your body becomes very likely to adopt your leg clenching as a defense mechanism. Your body, in response to a sudden bit of pain while you are lulling off to sleep, may clench/twitch that very muscle in your leg. This obviously may not apply to you, but it does to many, and is a behavior easily changed and with good results.

Good luck and see your doc; sleep deprivation makes everything worse!

• Thanks for all your comments. It was good to hear that I'm not imagining this.

As I mentioned in my first post, I told my PM doc about this and he chose to ingnore me or the subject.

The kind I get is mostly when laying down and trying to sleep or when trying to relax. Any limb or my core even, will jerk. When I say jerk it means my arm will move a few inches even when I'm holding a cup. Dangerous when it's a hot liquid.

I'm having surgery Monday to remove my hardware, so I guess I'll worry about it in a few months when everything has settled down again.

Thanks again.