Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical hardware malfunction

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had C7 fusion on 2001, screw blew in 2007, ended up having C4, C5, C6, C7 discectomy w/prosthetic discs, cage, plates and screws at that time. I am currently in Iraq, am having strange sensation, similar to the screw issue of 2007. I don't have many options here, obviously. I am scared and nervous, I cannot go thru that surgery again. Anyone else have hardware failure? If so, what symptoms did you experience?

• Welcome to Spine Health.

What kind of symptoms are you experiencing that have led you to believe there's a problem with your hardware?

Are you not able to see a doc to have things checked out?

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    When I had hardware failure I had pain in my arms,legs and shoulders. To be honest I thought I had arthritis real bad (so did doc). After a few months of no improvement it was discovered that I had 2 broken screws and the plate was backing out. I was sent back to surgery. Hopefully there is someone there you can see. Keep us posted
  • I am having no real pain, just discomfort in anterior neck, feels like something is not right within my neck...if i can make it thru a few more months...just worried, last time I had no pain either, but screw had blown out, was putting pressure on my esophagus, could have been worse, at least it didnt perforate my esophagus, that would have probably killed me...so just hoping it is something minor, if anything...although, we all know when things are not quite right...and I am afraid this may be one of those times...it is a big deal to get this checked out here..cannot risk going home yet, many extenuating circumstances...too complicated to even try to explain...but thank you for replying to me..
  • My symptoms, not really any bad pain currently, a little Rt arm nerve pain, which I have not had since 2001, so that is not so bad. The main thing is the weird sensation anterior neck, if I let myself think too much I freak myself out...so I am trying to just be positive...it just feels like something is off..I had a screw blow out of my C7 fusion in 2007, that is how i ended up w/this 3 level fusion, (I think it is 3...could be 4) all I know is something has changed, something is different...when the screw blew out I had acute onset of dysphagia, the screw was not broken, but was ready to perforate my esophagus..so I guess it was kinda a big deal...my neurosurgeon said he never saw anything like it how the screw blew out...a ortho did the multi-level fusion, wish I could have had my original surgeon, he said all I needed was a screw, not everything that was done...my life story...
    I couldn't wait for the original surgeon, he was out of the country..and it was considered an emergency...this feeling now is similar, although I believe it may be ventral cage dislocating, they have a tendency to drop into VB space...and a lot of problems with them, (ok, I read it on the internet) If anyone else has these symptoms/problems I would be so interested in how and what you did for it...I have to stay here for a while...so I will just try not to exacerbate it further...thank you for reading my ramble-typing...