Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Level 2 - 360 Fusion / Hardware removal question??

hope4leohhope4leo Posts: 200
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 3 1/2 weeks post op for a 2 level 360 fusion and have already started to fuse. My NS told me during my pre-op appointment that once I am fused, she will go back in and remove the hardware (plate - anterior, rods and screws - posterior) She was saying 9 months - but it may be sooner as I am healing and fusing quickly.

This question my sound silly but will she have to go back in on both sides of the spine to remove the hardware? Has anyone on this site ever had the hardware removed without any reason but the choice of their surgeon?

Thanks for any input not to mention the ending support at this site.

• Hello,

I am curious as to why your surgeon is suggesting hardware removal. Did she say why she wanted to perform this procedure? It is not common to have the hardware removed so it seems unusual that she would bring it up as though it were a part of the process.

Personally, I would not have the hardware removed unless you are having complications that are deemed hardware related. I know quite a few people with fusions that have had no problems afer their fusion and they continue to live pain free and active with their hardware. I on the other hand am going to remove my hardware. I know that I only have a 50/50 shot at this relieving my pain and dysfunction but at this point it is worth it.

At 3 1/2 weeks post-op there is no telling what the true outcome of your fusion will be or feel like. IMHO I would not entertain the idea of hardware removal at such an early stage of your recovery and I would certainly ask your NS why removing the hardware is necessary. Maybe she was just letting you know it was an option? I would explore this further with her.

Best wishes for a successful fusion and hopefully pain free days ahead.
  • It didn't seem that my NS was bringing it up as an option but that it was just part of the process of how she does her procedures. I think that once I am fused there would be not need for the hardware but as stablization during my fusion period or that is how she explained it. I will ask her questions on my next follow up.

I am still having lots of Left hip, groin, leg pain- but again I am too early in my recovery. My back pain has decrease quite a bit and for that I am greatful! ;o)

Have a great weekend and thanks again for your advice.

• Why on Earth she would put you through another surgery with cutting the back muscles? Makes me squirm just to think of it, ech! @)